Appdata local temp safe to delete

Discovered 1.8GB accumulated in Temp* folder.

My questions:
1) Can I safely Delete everything in this folder*?
2) If not, how would I discriminate which can be safely Deleted?

Uncertainty generated by numerous folders/files named with terms like: MSI, Install, Installation, Silverlight, java & Update logs, plus something identified as AppleMedia.

*Temp = "C:\Users\(my name)\AppData\Local\Temp

In practice, some programs store some important files here. But it should be safe to remove some old files. 

source:

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I did a search for that and many sources said that it is ok to delete them and it will cause no harm but just to be safe and don't risk you can click(windows key+r) and type %temp% and all the files that appear are safe to be deleted.

175 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Re    "In practice, some programs store some important files here. But it should be safe to remove some old files"

Which is precisely why I asked "How would I know?" [see examples I offered]

AFAIK %Temp% simply takes me to entire Temp folder via CMD;    But reply above leads one to believe it discriminates among important and trash-able Temp contents. 

Which is True??

I'm becoming increasingly cynical every day; It's just so damn hard keeping up!

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discovered 1.8GB accumulated in Temp* folder.

My questions:
1) Can I safely Delete everything in this folder*?
2) If not, how would I discriminate which can be safely Deleted?

Uncertainty generated by numerous folders/files named with terms like: MSI, Install, Installation, Silverlight, java & Update logs, plus something identified as AppleMedia.

*Temp = "C:\Users\(my name)\AppData\Local\Temp

Yes, they can, and should be, deleted periodically.

The temp folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example, if the program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use by an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them the next time you delete manually.

Some people may suggest that you reboot before deleting anything, but that's not necessary, for the reason described above (on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do it).

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

390 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have 860GB in the temp file area, and i don't know what can i clean up

i have only used my computer for 2 month and my C drive isn't that big. Since it is a NVME drive can i clean it so i can have room for other stuff. (The c drive is 98% in used. It is 1TB, samsung 960pro)

51 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 236,847 Applies to: