Can I reset Windows 10 without logging in with an admin password?

I recently came into possession of an old HP Mini PC used in a business that went under many years ago. I want to repurpose the computer and use it as a dedicated server for some games I play. I was given the computer by a friend who did not know the password and did not care about it. I am unable to login to Windows without a password and cannot find any information on previous employees who might know it. I am also unable to connect the PC to the internet, due to being unable to access the wifi settings and my lack of an Ethernet port on my router. (Starlink) Can I just plug in a USB drive with a fresh windows install, turn it on, and reset the hard drive or can I reset it from the home page? Also, will reinstalling windows remove any administrator settings that may still be active? Such as blocked programs, monitoring software, etc.

|
Hi Sawyer,

I'm Ramesh, here to answer your query at the Microsoft Community.

Please create a Windows 10 USB setup disk, boot from it, and perform a clean installation.

See "Clean install Windows 10 from USB" in the following link:
https://pureinfotech.com/clean-install-windows-...

Note: A clean install wipes the data from your drive. If you need to recover data from the drive beforehand, you can do so via Windows RE.

See: Rescue Files when Windows Won't Start - Microsoft Community:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Standard Disclaimer: There is a link to a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to provide accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ramesh, Windows Shell MVP 2003-2012.
If this post resolves your issue, pls mark it as an Answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 2, 2024 Views 15 Applies to: