Can I put windows 7 cd in windows 10 laptop

My computer is showing BOOTMGR is compressed.So i decided to put windows CD in it but my computer cd drive does not open.So i decided to put it in windows 10 laptop to copy it in pendrive .Can i do this?my laptop wont be hurted

boot and repair function for Windows 10 is different from Windows 7 and if you want to repair Windows 10 boot, you will need Windows 10 installer file and it is same for Windows 7 and you will need Windows 7 installer file.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If there is a CD or DVD stuck in the drive, you may be able to open it using a paper clip.  See https://youtu.be/2ScSLW2QxD4

If you are asking if you can use a Windows 10 laptop to copy a Windows 7 install DVD to a USB flash drive, then yes, you can. 

If the Windows 7 installation process starts automatically when you insert the DVD into the Windows 10 laptop, just cancel the process.

See the directions here:  https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln153692/how-to-transfer-your-operating-system-from-a-cd-dvd-to-a-bootable-usb?lang=en

Read the directions carefully.  A mistake can wipe out your operating system.

Before proceeding to step 8, be absolutely certain that you know which disk is your USB flash drive before you issue the "select disk n" command.  If you're not sure, run Disk Management (click Start, type diskmgmt.msc in the Search box, and press Enter).  This will show you what letter partitions (C:, D:, etc.) are on which numbered disks.

In step 9(ii), the designation of the USB flash drive is assumed to be E: because in the example, the last available drive letter was D: (the CD/DVD drive).  This may or may not be the case for your system.  If you want to be certain, in step 8(vii), use

ASSIGN LETTER=M

This will make the USB flash drive M: so the command in step 9(ii), would be
     Bootsect.exe /nt60 M:

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2023 Views 1,462 Applies to: