Can I download Windows 8 on one computer and install it on another computer?

Hi,

I just wanted to know if I could download Windows 8 on one computer and install it on another computer? As in I'll download the setup onto my PC, but will install it on my Laptop. Could that be done? - Thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Karan Shetty,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community.

Yes you can download Windows 8 in one computer and install it in another computer.

However you can install it only in one computer, as you only have one product key. If you want to install it in other computer, you need purchase additional licenses.

To download and install it in another computer, follow the steps:

a. Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay for it.

b. When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file.

c. Wait for the Assistant to download the Windows 8 Pro installation package and create the bootable media or .iso file. The flash drive must be having 3GB or more of free space available.

d. Burn the .iso file, if that's the path you chose, to a blank DVD.

If you need further assistance, please reply and we will be happy to help you.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Additional info ref. your query, you will need to ensure the PC and laptop are you capable of operating on the same bit system (32 bit or 64 bit), as the download will only download the bit system for the PC which it is downloaded to.

If your PC is 64 bit it will download only W8 64 bit OS.

If your laptop can only run 32 bit OS, the download will not install on laptop.

The upgrade does not allow upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit

Can I upgrade from 32 bit OS to 64 bit OS?

Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro, but you'll need to buy it as a DVD and perform a custom installation. If available in your country or region, you can buy Windows 8 Pro from a participating retail store. You can also buy it online from the Microsoft Store in Austria, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

A computer is a device, that requires human input to operate efficiently.
Alas we humans do fail!!!!

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Praseetha,

One more question, I'm currently using Windows 8 RTM Build 9200 on my Laptop, so can I install the update and activate it using the procedure you mentioned above or do I need to revert to Windows 7? - Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Shilohbob,

I'd much rather prefer buying the DVD, but I guess in India you can only buy it from Flipkart. (http://www.flipkart.com/microsoft-windows-8-professional/p/itmdf3njpfk7vbc4?pid=OPSDF3KZYV7AZTRH&ref=fd99610c-2efe-4054-ad18-0f6237b8aa49)

My confusion now is that whether the version on sale is a full version DVD or an upgrade. The guys at Flipkart are confused and don't really know. Secondly, I'm using Windows 8 RTM Build 9200 (Un-Activated) on my Laptop. If I buy this DVD, would I be able to do a clean install and have it ACTIVATED (a lot of people are clueless if this is possible), or would I have to revert back to Windows 7?

Would really appreciate some clarity on the same. I can't wait to get my hands on a full version licensed copy. - Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First:

If you want to use the upgrade version you need to re-install W7, it will only install on a previous qualifying (Legal) version of W7, Vista or XP.

Second:

There is no upgrade path from any pre-release version of W8 ( RP, CP, RTM.)

You can purchase a W8 Pro (OEM) version, which is used to install W8 onto PC's without a qualifying version of Windows pre-installed.

This is the version you will need if you do not choose the upgrade path, the price of this version is approx. $140 (Aust), the upgrade versions are approx. $60 (Aust).

You link unfortunately does not work for me.

A computer is a device, that requires human input to operate efficiently.
Alas we humans do fail!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, Karan,

I'd suggest following Prakesh's directions if you wish to download since you can do it on the laptop in question.  As for the link you provided, if you scroll down to the full description of the software, under General Heading, Additional Features, it does state: "Full Package Software"

Make sure the laptop meets system requirements:

Processor: 1 GHz or faster
Hard Drive: 16 GB Hard Disk Space (32-bit) or 20 GB Hard Disk Space (64-bit)
Other Requirements: DirectX 9 Graphics Processor with WDDM Driver, 1366 768 Screen Resolution, To Use Touch, You Need a PC that Supports Multitouch, Microsoft Account Required for Some Features, 1GHz or faster with Support for PAE, NX, and SSE2, Secure Boot Requires Firmware that Supports UEFI v2.3.1 Errata B, BitLocker To Go Requires a USB Flash Drive, Client Hyper-V Requires a 64-bit System with Second Level Address Translation (SLAT) Capabilities and Additional 2 GB of RAM, A TV Tuner is Required to Play and Record Live TV in Windows Media Center
Memory: 1 GB RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have already downloaded on a laptop using thr upgrade assistant prior to receiving a new laptop. did not realize that to install the upgrade on another laptop (buyin a new with win 7) needed to save it as an .iso file.
can a .iso file be created or downloaded again w/o paying again. what can be done now to move the files?
thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have already installed on the first computer, you would have to recover the previous operating system which would wipe Windows 8 out of the system. You can then redownload from the link you were given and create the necessary media in order to install it on the new computer.

One license per pc/laptop unit

If you intend to keep it on the first computer and wish to install it on the new computer, you will have to purchase a separate license then follow Praseetha K Nair's suggestion:

To download and install it in another computer, follow the steps:

a. Use the Upgrade Assistant to qualify the PC and pay for it.

b. When the "Install Windows 8" message appears, select "Install by creating media" to create a bootable USB flash drive or an .iso (a disk image) file.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for the quick reply.
have not installed the upgrade. was waiting for the right new laptop to buy and did not want to wait until close to expiration date for the offer.

'You can then redownload from the link you were given': is this the ms email with the
'PROMO CODE' and instructions to 'Download Upgrade Assistant', and other instructions? would it involve paying again? would use the same laptop where the download is currently saved.

thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The email would provide the link to download from.  If you've already paid for the merchandise, you should not have to pay again.

Yes, use the same laptop you originally used unless the new laptop is 32-bit while the older laptop was 64-bit or vice-versa.  If previously downloaded and the system was 32-bit, that is what you downloaded.  You'd have to use a different 64-bit laptop to get the 64-bit version and I believe that would entail paying for another copy.  If both are the same, you're free to download again.  Remember to select "Install by creating media" option.

Good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 9,270 Applies to: