Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 key?

Can I activate Windows 10 with Windows 7 key?

Also can I download Windows 10 installation directly in ISO format?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

Refer to the most helpful article by Andre Da Costa provided below which will provide you answers on how to activate Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-the-latest-windows-10-build/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Yes, you will be able to download ISO media for Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope this helps.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Wait?Will I be able to use my copy of windows on a different computer after upgrading to 10? Say I no longer want to use my Windows 10 on my laptop and want to move it to my other computer and put something else on my laptop.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

Refer to the most helpful article by Andre Da Costa provided below which will provide you answers on how to activate Windows 10.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-the-latest-windows-10-build/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Yes, you will be able to download ISO media for Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope this helps.

Anish, the link you provided talks about activating windows 7 only, nothing related to windows 10; Can you post relevant article?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Things you should know:

• A Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product keycannot activate Windows 10. Windows 10 uses its own unique product key.
  • By default, Windows 10 builds are pre-keyed, meaning, you do not have to enter a product key and should not be prompted to enter one as long as you upgraded from an activated Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 license or Windows 10 Preview build.

• If you perform a clean install on first attempt, you will have to start over from an activated Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 installation.
  • If you are prompted to enter a product key, clickDo this laterand give it a few days, Windows 10 will activate automatically.
  • Activation servers are being overwhelmedat the moment because of the volume of upgrades, so give it some time if you get an error message such as (0XC004E003, ,0x8007000D, 0x8007232b or 0x8007007B) Windows 10 will eventually activate as long as you upgrade using the appropriate method.
  • There is no need to know your Windows 10 product key, read the following 'Understanding Product Activation in Windows 10:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-and-resolve-common-product-key/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Also

How to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I was using Windows 7, which was fully activated and working well. I think I was using windows 7 home, but I'm not sure.

I downloaded Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft, and installed from a DVD. It installed well, and is running fine.

However, it won't activate. I get 'Error code: 0x8007007B'  

I am afraid that I might have accidentally installed Windows 10 pro over Windows 7 home. Is this even possible? Why would it let me do that?

I then tried to go back to Windows 7, but it won't let me, saying "We're sorry, you can't go back. Some of the files you need for a previous version of windows have been removed."

I have tried to run a Windows 10 home install over the top of Windows 10 Pro, but it won't let me keep my apps if I do that. I also had to enter a different key number to even get install to work.

Help!  Should I just wait to see if activation will eventually work?

THanks for any input,

Mike

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to hear of your circumstances, I however do understand what you are experiencing.  I did the same thin.  So I have gone to ebay and purchased the recovery disks relevant to my laptop, it is a dell.  Right now I am running windows ten unactivated.

My plan is to reinstall from the factory install media, make windows 7 recovery disks (just so I have them) and then install windows 10 and make again, recovery disks (redundancy at every stage) I dabble in Linux, so it is my own fault the circumstances I find myself.  I hope maybe this has helped you find a way to fix your problem too.  Ill let you know if helps, as my cd's are not here yet.

Scott

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 14, 2020 Views 14,889 Applies to: