Calculator App Does NOT Work on Windows 10

The Calculator App is not working on Windows 10.

Here is the information about my PC and Windows version:

16 GB RAM

64-bit operating system

Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

OS build 19043.685

Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

I have worked for HOURS trying to get the Calculator app to run on my PC.

The app flashes on the screen, and then ends (crashes).

In searching the web (as noted for hours), I have found and tried the following:

Run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter. The details that are returned are of no help. Most issues are noted as not present. An issue named Hanging or Crashing apps is noted as not fixed. Then a line below that says Reset hanging or crashing apps is noted as completed.

Uninstalled and reinstalled app multiple times. Restarted PC each time.

Reset the app in settings.

Tried to reregister windows 10 apps via PowerShell (as an administrator). Not successful. Don't understand the results as they are cryptic. See many references to cannot find path, object not found.

Run the System File Checker (sfc /scannow) as adminstrator. 

Run the DISM commands as administrator: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup AND Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

Restarted the PC after running each of the three commands above.

Ended the RuntimeBroker.exe processes.

Does anyone have a solution that will work?

Hello WilsonCal,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I'll be happy to assist you today. What is your current windows version and edition? Press Start then click Settings(Gear icon), select System then About.

Kindly try the suggested methods below.

**Please try to run SFC and DISM to check for any system errors and corrupted files.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/usi...
After that, Restart your PC using Clean Boot of Windows 10

**Perform a Clean Boot
Determine if a background program or a software conflict causes your Calculator app to close immediately.

Go to the search box > type MSConfig.
Select System Configuration > go to the Services tab.
Select and put a check mark on "Hide all Microsoft services" > Click Disable all.
Go to Startup tab > Open Task Manager > Disable all the unnecessary services running there. Restart your computer.

Kindly check the support article below for more details
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-t...

**Install all the latest and pending windows updates
Press Start then search Check for updates
Download and Install the windows updates that will appear there

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

@ John DeV

Thank you for your reply and help.

From your post: “What is your current windows version and edition?”

I posted this information in my first post requesting help:

16 GB RAM

64-bit operating system

Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

OS build 19043.685

Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Does this information answer your question? I don’t see any other information on the Settings>System>About page.

If the previously provided information is insufficient, please let me know specifically what other information you need.

Your note: “Install all the latest and pending windows updates.” All updates are current.

You said: “run SFC and DISM to check for any system errors and corrupted files.”

I had run SFC and DISM before as noted in first post with no luck and no errors found.

I ran the processes again. I used the Command Prompt and ran as an Administrator in both instances.

I would like to be post pictures of the results, but I do not see an option to post pictures.

I have two hard drives (C and D). All program files are on C. I ran the processes on C:\Windows\system32>. I had run the processes on D previously with nothing found, so I didn’t try again. The D drive is only a storage device; it is not the boot drive.

sfc /scannow results – Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth results – The restore operation completed successfully. There is no indication that any changes were made.

I restarted the PC (not a Clean Boot – see below). Calculator still doesn’t work.

I performed a Clean Boot following the procedures at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-da2f9573-6eec-00ad-2f8a-a97a1807f3dd.

The calculator did not work. The problem is the same. It appears to start briefly and closes (crashes) immediately.

This may be worth noting. In the Clean Boot process, I hid the Microsoft services, disabled all others, made changes in task manager, and then when I applied the changes in the System Configuration, several MacAfee services were rechecked. I could not find a way to apply the disable changes to McAfee services and leave the them unchecked.

Any suggestions on next steps would be appreciated.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello WilsonCal,

Thank you for updating me with that information. I apologize that this did not resolve the issue.

Please try creating a new local administrator account then check if the issue still persists.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/cre...

If this doesn't work, Please try performing a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade. Performing this can repair broken operating system files while preserving your personal files, settings and installed applications.

**Few things to check on the PC

1. Important: Back up your personal data and files to an external hard drive, USB thumb drive.
2. Ensure you are signed in or have administrator rights to do a repair install
3. Unplug all external peripherals except for the Mouse, Keyboard, and LAN cable before starting
4. Disable or uninstall any 3rd party Anti-Virus program to prevent it from interfering with the upgrade

Download the media creation tool(Click Download tool now) and save it to your computer.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
Open the tool and select Upgrade this PC now.
Make sure to select Keep personal files and apps.
It might take some time to install Windows 10. Your computer will restart a few times, Make sure you don’t turn off your PC.

Kindly let me know if this helps or if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@John DeV

I wanted to let you know that instead of trying the possible solutions that you suggested in your last post, that I was able to contact Microsoft Technical Support and the problems are resolved. Long story short, I can't tell you all that Microsoft did to fix the problems; however, some of the steps (which were beyond my skill level) taken did appear to be the same as you suggested.

So for now, all seems to be working well.

Thank you again for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello WilsonCal,

Thank you for updating me with that information. Glad to hear the issue has been resolved.

You're welcome. Stay safe and have a great day!

Sincerely,

John DeV
Independent Advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 3,341 Applies to: