'Burn a disc' and 'Windows Disc Image Burner' features built-in with Windows 7.

Hi,

I really have noticed when I opened an ISO file, there was a 'Burn' button in the frame top of the folder containing that iso file. Also, when I opened this file with, I noticed 'Windows Disc Image Burner'.

Burn a disc:

Windows Disc Image Burner:

Thus, my questions are:
First: Why is the program Windows Disc Image Burner' not listed on the programs?

Second: What differences there are between burning with 'Windows Disc Image Burner' and the with Burn a disc with a CD/DVD player?

Third: Can I burn data onto a disc via burn a disc ?

Finally: if I want to write data onto a disc over many sessions, can I leave the disk open via the first burning data with burn a disc with a CD/DVD player  to let other data be burnt on the same disc later, if the disc has still an empty space?

Hi,

I really have noticed when I opened an ISO file, there was a 'Burn' button in the frame top of the folder containing that iso file. Also, when I opened this file with, I noticed 'Windows Disc Image Burner'.

Burn a disc:

Windows Disc Image Burner:

Thus, my question is,
First: Why is the program Windows Disc Image Burner' not listed on the programs?

Second: What differences there are between burning with 'Windows Disc Image Burner' and the with Burn a disc with a CD/DVD player?

Third: Can I burn data onto a disc via burn a disc ?

Finally: if I want to write data onto a disc over many sessions, can I leave the disk open via the first burning data with burn a disc with a CD/DVD player  to let other data be burnt on the same disc later, if the disc has still an empty space?

1. Choice of the manufacturer?
2. You are comparing burning an ISO image (Windows Disc Image Burner) to CD/DVD with burning individual files/folders to a CD/DVD.  The first - the 'format' of the CD/DVD is already determined/part of the ISO image.  The latter - you get to choose whether it's a Live CD/DVD (sessions, possibly multiple writes) or Mastered (write once - done.)  You are not comparing oranges to oranges.
3. Sure - if you first make an ISO image of that data.  ;-)
4. If you choose the "Mastered" option - you get to write once.  If you have a DVD with 4.5GB unused (new) and you write 1MB to it with that option - you will forever have a DVD with 4.499GB unused (some would say wasted.)
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks a lot,

I really don't quite understand you. But I don't know because my language is not good enough or something else wrong.

First: I know that any data(document, video or music files) can be collectted all together into a folder, then I will highlight the folder containing them, after that, I'll click on the 'burn' button on the top frame of the folder. Finally, all data will be ready to burn onto the disc.

Second: I know that Windows Disc Image Burner can only burn  ISO files. In contrast to

WDIB, burning individual files/folders to a CD/DVD can only burn data, and if ISO files burn with it, then the CD will not be bootable( it will boot when booting from a CD) because it wasn't burnt as an image, however, it was written.  

Third: I know some other 2th-party burning programs can leave the disc open to let data be burnt to it later if still an empty space. However,  burning individual files/folders to a CD/DVD will not leave the disc open for many sessions.

Finally: if I want to only clone a CD to another one. In other words, if I have  a burnt CD and only want to make a similar copy of it, how can I do? Can I do this by one of these two features? 

***The real leader is the one who helps others.***

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could anyone reply to me to close this pending problem, please?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It looks answered.  What's left?

Oh, you did add the clone question.  Well, you'd have to make an ISO image of the CD/DVD and then burn the image (as an image, not file) to CD/DVD.  But since there is no built-in utility that I know of to create an ISO image in Windows 7, you'd need a third party application to do that.  If you are getting one anyway - get one that can do a one-to-one copy without you being directly involved with any intermediary steps (like creating an ISO.)
.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It looks answered.  What's left?

Oh, you did add the clone question.  Well, you'd have to make an ISO image of the CD/DVD and then burn the image (as an image, not file) to CD/DVD.  But since there is no built-in utility that I know of to create an ISO image in Windows 7, you'd need a third party application to do that.  If you are getting one anyway - get one that can do a one-to-one copy without you being directly involved with any intermediary steps (like creating an ISO.)

Thanks a lot,

Could you kindly ask my 'second and third' in my pervious post?

Yes, some other 3th-party burning programs can let me create ISO and clone 'one-to-one copy as well. But I think I will not need to create\make ISO file if I want to  clone 'one-to-one copy in either burning program.

Then, windows is still missing  built-in utilititits such as    'one-to-one copy' and making 'ISO'.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you kindly ask my 'second and third' in my pervious post?

Yes, some other 3th-party burning programs can let me create ISO and clone 'one-to-one copy as well. But I think I will not need to create\make ISO file if I want to  clone 'one-to-one copy in either burning program.

Then, windows is still missing  built-in utilititits such as    'one-to-one copy' and making 'ISO'.

I don't see a question in your "second" and "third"for your second post in this conversation.  I originally answered your original 1, 2, 3 and 4.

The "making of an ISO image" comment - they are doing it in the background if you only have one CD/DVD drive - it has to make a temporary storage for said CD/DVD image - otherwise how do you think it would work?  ;-)  It's not putting all that in your system memory and holding it there while you put in your blank CD/DVD into the drive that you originally had your CD/DVD you wanted to make a copy of.  If you have two (or more) CD/DVD drives - it streams only to a certain extent - it most likely has a buffer it goes to first so it can do checks on the data (thus why sometimes you get buffer errors when writing to CD/DVDs - although that mainly is a thing of the past now.)

I wouldn't call it "missing" as why those would be a feature of a true Operating System - I don't know as it certainly adds nothing but features third parties already provide and will likely always provide better.  An operating system is the base for all that - burning CD/DVDs is not something required for an OS.
.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks a lot,

Second: I know that Windows Disc Image Burner can only burn  ISO files. In contrast to

Windows Disc Image Burner, burning individual files/folders to a CD/DVD can only burn data, and if ISO files burn by burning individual files/folders,  then the CD will not be bootable( it will boot when booting from a CD) because it wasn't burnt as an image, however, it was written.  

Third: I know some other 2th-party burning programs can leave the disc open to let data be burnt to it many sessions until it gets full. if. However,  burning individual files/folders to a CD/DVD will not leave the disc open for many sessions.

Finally:  'The "making of an ISO image" comment - they are doing it in the background if you only have one CD/DVD drive - it has to make a temporary storage for said CD/DVD image - otherwise how do you think it would work?  ;-) 

I understand from you speech above, that while cloning one CD to another Blank CD, then ISO file will be created in the background, do I? If so, then where is this ISO saved?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you please reply to me to close this issue?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you please reply to me to close this issue?

Please try to understand this is a peer-to-peer volunteer forum.  This is not my job, career, etc.

The ISO image is likely still made in your third party application in a temporary location - where that is is likely configured and determined by that application and is either proprietary/temporary or just temporary.

Of course - this again assume you have ONE CD/DVD drive you are using to clone the CD/DVD.  If it doesn't make an image that it uses to write to the blank CD/DVD you will have to put in after taking the original - well - then how else would it do it?
.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In the off chance the .iso, .nrg, etc. are associated with programs like WinZip, you may have to disassociate the file from the decompression program and the 'burn DVD/CD' item should reappear.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2024 Views 2,670 Applies to: