Building new PC using old SSD, do i need to reinstall windows?

Questions pretty much says it all. Upgrading my PC with a new CPU, GPU, and motherboard, but plan to use my old SSD and harddrive. The SSD has windows 10 installed, would i need to reinstall it, or am I fine to just plug and chug with the old SSD.

|
Answer
Answer
No, you don't need to wipe it prior to install. You will need to delete all partitions during the installation process when it is asking you where to install Windows. You want to delete all partitions at that step, until they all merge into one unallocated space. Then use that space to install. I will share the whole instruction - and make sure you backup your personal files first.

The following steps should be done on a working Windows computer:

Download the Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's official website. https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/win...

Run the tool and select "Create installation media for another PC."

Choose your language, edition, and architecture (32 or 64-bit) and select "Next."

Choose "USB flash drive" as the media to use for the installation and select "Next."

Connect a USB flash drive with at least 8 GB of free space to your computer.

Select the USB flash drive you want to use, and then select "Next."

The tool will then download the required files and create the installation media.
=====================================================
Now these steps will  be done on your problematic computer:

Go to the computer's BIOS boot menu to have it boot from the USB drive.

Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 10, making sure to choose "Custom install" and select the option to delete all existing partitions.

Once the installation is complete, you'll have a clean installation of Windows 10 on your computer.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 20, 2024 Views 29 Applies to: