BUG: CHKDSK stuck at 11% for hours, but was actually working

I ran CHKDSK on my Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit laptop.  The message said that it was up to 11% and then it stopped advancing for ages.  I thought that CHKDSK had stalled or crashed, but it turns out that it was working, it's just that it took several hours to complete one stage but it didn't update the progress indicator.

MORE DETAILS

I ran CHKDISK from the command prompt on my C drive and it offered to run the command on the next restart.  I answered yes and restarted, and CHKDSK ran, updating its progress, but it stopped at 11% and stayed there for ages and ages.

Note that in Windows 8.1, CHKDSK doesn't display lines of text as it goes along like in certain earlier versions of Windows.  It just displays a single line, e.g. "Scanning and repairing drive (C:): 11% complete" that gets updated from time to time.

At first I thought it was stalled or crashed, so I rebooted the laptop.  CHKDSK ran again and once again got stuck at 11%.  So I rebooted the laptop with a recovery USB and ran CHKDISK from the command prompt.  This one displayed more progress information.  It estimated that a particular stage would take 3 or 4 hours (it fluctuated from one to the other at first before settling on over 3 hours and then slowly counting down).  After several hours it completed successfully, fixing some errors and reporting its results.

I rebooted the computer again, from the hard drive.  CHKDSK ran again (since it didn't complete before) and after several hours it completed.  It warned me that Windows didn't close normally (because I interrupted the previous CHKDSK) and gave me some options.

So it looks like there's one stage in CHKDSK where the status line isn't getting updated regularly.  Could Microsoft please fix this?

EDIT: corrected spelling of subject heading.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I'm having the same problem, it's stuck at 11%. Will it go beyond 11% without using a recovery USB?
I hope so!
Please Microsoft fix this!

85 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Try ctl-alt-del to break out of chkdsk. Then you need to
delete the next schedule chkdsk(because it senses it
didn't finish) To do that:

Power Off. Then power on, Depress and hold F8

Select "disable error restart"

This Worked for me! (so glad I didn't wait hours or days)

56 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, but I'm attempting your solution right now but when I ctl+alt+del nothing happens. Suggestions?

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jordan,

I don't have any other suggestion. After this bug I had many other problems with my laptop. I wasn't able to fix or format the harddrive so I got a new one. Now I don't have these nasty issues any more.
Good luck!

Frederik

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you running chkdsk /f or chkdisk /r?

The latter of the two causes the tool to scan the entire hard disk searching for bad sectors which it will subsequently try to fix. On an HD which is less than five years old, it's completely unnecessary and also causes undue wear and tear on the drive thereby reducing its lifespan.

Run chkdsk /f by all means, but once every three months is more that enough.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've ran chkdsk /r /f, it also was stuck at 11%. I just let it ran over night and the computer is back operational this morning. 

123 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've ran chkdsk /r /f, it also was stuck at 11%. I just let it ran over night and the computer is back operational this morning. 

Lucky guy.  My system has been running very slowly lately, typically a sign of a corrupt file or database on the drive and running chkdsk /f sometimes fixes it.  I've noticed that if chkds /f doesn't fix it, chkdsk /r will.  I currently have no "bad" sectors on my drive therefore this is either a software issue or at times a power (a/c or batter) loss issue if power runs out before a hibernate feature completes.

Anyway I my system has been running slowly lately and I ran a chkdsk /r command and let the system run over night.  The next morning I awoke to the system reporting 11% complete.  I went about my day and left the house until 10 p.m.  The system was still at 11%.  over 24 hours on a 1 TB drive?  I'm certain something is wrong with the coding of chkdsk if it remains at the same percent complete for close to 24 hours.  After waiting that long, I forced a power down and restarted the system.  After about 5 minutes it was back at 11% and appeared to stand still.  After waiting another hour I forced another power down, used the boots option menu and booted into Windows 8.1.  The OS is running smoother as expected after a completed chkdsk, so something was apparently fixed but why literally over a day?  I feel as LironL pointed out that either the status isn't updating correctly and that having a detailed screen would be reassuring if not helpful.

52 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using  chkdsk \r and it keeps getting stuck on ll% will it go on or is is stalled kr corrupt
AHR

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm stuck @ 12%, n already 3hrs now. Dell N5420, 6GB ram 1 GB VRam, windows 8.1 for now, was 7 home basic (suddenly error n blocked, black screen, said I was using non original.

W/ this win 8,  sometimes I got: camera not connected error message, nvdia control panel simetimes error message too.

1st time blue screen w/ win 8.1, I wasn't able to play game i'm usually playing, a note that my comp display memory only set @ 30Mb, 256 is minimum. When I check, again... error again w/ nvidia control panel (said: no nvidia detected)

What should I do?

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When Windows 8.1 starts loading (Windows logo with loading circle below), start pressing any key or esc, It is crazy that microsoft left 1 sec to skip chkdsk. This will skip checkdisk

36 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 353,200 Applies to: