BSOD While Gaming and Other Apps

Recently, my computer has been blue screening after I open up a video game and try to play it. This happens within the first 5 or so minutes of playing the game. I have reset my computer to the factory state and I have uninstalled windows then reinstalled the latest version of it. I scanned for corrupted files and I updated my drivers to the latest versions. I can't seem to figure out what is causing this.

The blue screen has always been Critical Process Died and I have used the windows debugger twice and it says that the process names were svchost.exe and csrss.exe. Since I have wiped my computer multiple times, I believe it is a hardware problem but I am unsure. I also ran Memtest for about an hour and found 0 errors.

My computer Specs:

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core 

Hard Drive: ADATA SU800NS38

MotherBoard: Biostar X370GT5

I used Driver View and I copied the report to OneDrive:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AmJNYCV9UQjYgyWV98mft9u2UBjf?e=xX6H2Z 

If there is any information missing that is needed to know to fix this problem let me know as I am fairly new to all of this.

Hi, my name is Nigel and I am an Independent Advisor here to try and work with you on this issue you are having.

Please could you send the DMP file relating to your BSOD.

https://mywindowshub.com/how-to-configure-windo....

Hope this helps!

Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes.
If you don't have any more questions, feel free to choose a rating and let us know whether this information was helpful to you!"

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Here is the Minidump file on Onedrive. Thank you for responding.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmJNYCV9UQjYgyafjxlABPTT9m7v?e=g3uVS3

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

In this instance it is referencing the error Critical Process Died.

Critical Process Died error is an error that comes with a Blue Screen of Death aka BSOD. This error can happen at any time but it usually happens after a Windows Upgrade or a Windows Install. However, there are plenty of users who have experienced this error at various other stages like while playing a game or on Windows startup.

Please can you carry out the following steps.

Run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
Restart the computer.
If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this helps!

Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes.
If you don't have any more questions, feel free to choose a rating and let us know whether this information was helpful to you!"

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I entered those into the command prompt and they went through but the problem still persists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Can you confirm whether any changes have happened recently. Specifically have you changed or replaced memory or your graphics card?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, I have been using the same set up for about 2 years now. Could one of my parts have been damaged due to overheating, as this problem only started to come up when summer began.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

It is entirely possible however without the luxury of being able to replace parts, its difficult to confirm 100% before.

Can you try booting into safe mode with networking and seeing if you experience any issues?

Also does the BSOD only happen when playing games?
If so, then the fault would indicate the graphics card. Especially since you have already run the memory test.

One way we can try and confirm that is to run a 3D benchmark.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/Software

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did the 3D Benchmark and it blue screened then I booted into safe mode with networking and did the 3D Benchmark again and it also blue screened. The blue screen mostly happens while playing games but it has happened a few times when my computer has multiple programs or apps open.

Here are the Minidump files for the blue screens:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmJNYCV9UQjYgyhvh6qVeLGxrQZ_?e=o26NfN

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmJNYCV9UQjYgyf5Y-k6XAbHypVn?e=bZNKP4

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With running this test also in safe mode and you still getting the BSOD, this confirms drivers are not the issue.

As we already know the issue is with memory only the RAM and video card will effect that.

As the memory test came back ok, I would suggest that the issue is a hardware fault with the video card.

You can never be 100% sure but I’m comfortable with the tests we’ve done to say that hardware (GTX 1070) has a fault.

If your motherboard has onboard video, I would remove the GTX and run the benchmark and games with onboard and see if any BSOD occur. Obviously performance will be poor but it will confirm the fault.

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2022 Views 365 Applies to: