BSOD when installing Windows 7 setup files

Hi,

I have a Windows 10 Lenovo laptop that uses UEFI and a GPT partitioned drive. I am attempting to install and dual boot Windows 7 on that machine.

The hard drive originally looked like this:

Disk:
Part 1 - EFI System
Part 2 - Windows 10 installed and working
Part 3 - Recovery

I created a Windows 7 USB drive. I disabled MBR boot mode, so Windows 7 Setup was forced to boot in UEFI mode. I shrunk the Windows 10 partition and created a new partition for the Windows 7 files. And I went through the setup procedure and installed the Windows 7 setup files on the new GPT partition.

The drive now looks like this:

Disk:
Part 1 - EFI System
Part 2 - Windows 10 installed and working
Part 3 - Windows 7 setup files only
Part 4 - Recovery

When the computer rebooted, Windows boot manager gives me the choice between Windows 7 and Windows 10. However, when I choose Windows 7, the "Starting Windows" screen would appear for about 3 seconds before the BSOD and a system reboot.

• I am not able to complete the Windows 7 installation because the computer reboots just moments after startup
  • I am having trouble creating (or finding) the ntbtlog.txt for some reason.
  • I tried different combinations of UEFI only, UEFI + Legacy, CSM enabled/disabled.
  • I booted in safe mode and the last driver to say "Loaded" was disk.sys
  • The BSOD error is at 0x0000007B

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Answer
Answer

How did you create the bootable media? Its possible you need to prepare it using Rufus:

Prepare the install media

Depending on the type of computer you have, an optical drive might not be available, which means, you will need to prepare a bootable copy using a USB thumb drive. This is ideal for newer 64 bit computers that come preinstalled with Windows 10. Rufus is the best solution to use:

If your computer is UEFI based, these are normally systems that come pre-loaded with Windows 8 or later, you will need to prepare the ISO file for such a configuration or you will receive an error message during setup. The thumbdrive needs to be formatted as FAT32 and use the GPT partitioning scheme. To do this, you need to use Rufus, a small tool you can download for free.

Rufus - credit: Pete Batard/Akeo

After you have installed Rufus:

• Launch it
  • Select ISO Image
  • Point to the Windows 10 ISO file
  • Check off Create a bootable disk using
  • Select GPT partitioning for EUFI firmware as the Partition scheme
  • Choose FAT32 NOT NTFS as the File system
  • Make sure your USB thumbdrive in the Device list box
  • Click Start
  • Close when complete

Have Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 install media ready.

If you plan to dual boot, you should have a full version copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. If you don't, you will need to purchase a full version license. If you have a genuine product key, you can download a copy from the Microsoft Software Download website.

Review the following article for instructions if you have problems downloading Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 install media:

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Before we begin, I strongly recommend you backup your new computer with Windows 10 before carrying out these procedures.

Make sure the computer you plan to install the older version of Windows on has supported hardware drivers. If you are planning to install Windows 7 or Windows 8, check the download section of the manufacturers website to see if they have native drivers for your model.

Important Drivers you should download and save in advance

When you perform a new install or upgrade, you should download the latest software drivers from the manufacturers website for your computer model. Important drivers include: Chipset, Video, Audio and Network (Ethernet/Wireless). For laptops, make sure you download the latest Touch Pad drivers. There are other drivers you will probably need, but you can often download these through Windows Update after have a working Internet connection setup.

How to find and download drivers from the manufacturers website:

Drivers can normally be found in the Support section from the manufacturers website where you will find a Software and Drivers sub-section. The method to find it will vary depending on the brand. You can go to your favorite search engine then enter the following query "model and make drivers download' example: 'hp 8460p drivers download'. This will often provide a direct link.

Learn more - references Windows 10, but the same principles  work for finding Windows 7 or Windows 8 drivers:

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Disable Secure Boot

Secure Boot as a part of the wave of Windows 8 devices provided enhanced security; using a security signature built into the computer firmware. This ensure that malware was not able to easily compromise a system. Older versions of Windows such as Windows 7 do not support this technology. Also, for Windows 8.1, it must be disabled.

Review the following article for more details about disabling both UEFI Boot and Secure Boot:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

Prepare Partition where Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 will be installed

You will need to set aside some space where Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 will be installed. Considerations for the operating system, applications, software updates and personal files must be taken into account. If you plan to keep around the older version of Windows long term, then the bigger the better. I personally recommend a minimum 60 GBs.

Press Windows key + X then click Disk Management

Select the system partition where Windows 10 is currently installed. Right click it then click Shrink.

Enter the amount of space you would like to allocate to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, then click Shrink. The more, the better.

An unallocated partition will now be available. Right click it then click New Simple Volume

This will start the New Simple Volume wizard, which will let you format, assign a drive letter and label the volume.

Once your partition is prepared, you are now ready to install Windows 7 or Windows 8.1. Insert or connect your install media. If setup does not start automatically, click Start > File Explorer > This PC. Double click the install media to begin setup.

Click Yes when prompted.

Click Install Now

Click Custom (advanced)

Select the partition we created earlier then click Next.

Wait while Windows install files are copied.

After restarting, Windows will boot into setup.

Windows setup will continue copying files then restart again.

A boot entry will be added for the older version of Windows. You will notice an entry is also available for Windows 10. This will allow you to easily choose, which version of Windows you would like start when you turn on your computer.

Complete Out of Box Experience

You will need to complete the Out of Box Experience which includes creating an account/password, machine name, join an available wireless network, adjust time zone.

After you have completed setup, proceed to install recommended drivers downloaded in advance:

Chipset, Video, Audio and Network (Ethernet/Wireless). 

Also run Windows Update and also ensure you have an Antivirus utility installed and updated immediate.

That's it, when you ready to boot into your OS a choice, you can easily do so.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2018 Views 835 Applies to: