BSOD, corsairVBusdriver.sys

Today I started my PC like any other day. After a few minutes, I got a BSOD like the one posted below.

I thought at first that it might have something to do with the Corsair program I run for my Corsair keyboard, so I tried to quickly close the program via task manager under apps, and also unplug my keyboard allng with it. A minute later, the blue screen still happened.

Now I'm trapped in a cycle of blue screen > automatic repair > getting into windows for a few minutes > blue screen.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

You are NOT able to boot into Windows, is that correct?

In case it stop and restart multiple times, you should see Windows 10 Recovery Environment or you may force shutdown to boot into Windows Recovery Environment and from there perform some troubleshooting tasks.

Take a look at Troubleshoot blue screen errors (microsoft.com) 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am able to boot into windows. For a couple of minutes anyway, before the blue screen kills it again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@HappyBlub

I had this exact Blue Screen of Death last night (Dec 14, 2020). The PC worked fine during the day before it happened at night.

None of the instructions from this link helped with the CorsairVBusDriver.sys issue. But it's a nice guide for getting acquainted with the Automatic Repair screen, there are indirect clues for what options you might have at your disposal further down the road.

Troubleshoot blue screen errors (microsoft.com)

Rename a driver file

What helped for me was this procedure:

Automatic Repair screen

Your PC did not start correctly

• Advanced options

Choose an option

• Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt

Command Prompt (CMD)

Change to the correct disk. The disk letters don't correspond to the disk letters before BSOD!

For example in my case C: disk was labeled as E: disk after BSOD. It will be different for other people depending on how your disk setup looks like.

So don't blindly type e: disk just because it worked for me.

Instead, investigate what the contents looks like with dir command for each disk to determine which disk contains your real Windows installations. Because more than 70% of the disks listed in my case had Windows installation folders but they look slightly different compared to your real Windows disk.

I got lucky for spotting this discrepancy because I had previously created a custom looking folder (MyCustomFolder) at the same root level as the Windows installation folder.

# --- Change to correct disk ---

X:> e:

E:> wmic logicaldisk getname

#
# The above wmic command lists all

# the disks you can access with CMD.
#

# --- Rename corrupt driver file ---

$ dir /b/s *Driver.sys

$ dir /b/s *Driver.old

$ cd windows\system32\drivers

$ ren NameOfDriver.sys NameOfDriver.old

After performing this procedure I was able to restart in Safe Mode with Networking. But you can't install Windows Debugger (WinDbg) in Safe Mode.

Fortunately I was able to restart like normal after renaming the CorsairVBusDriver.sys  driver file. Then you are able to install Windows Debugger in case the Microsoft tech support people needs to dig deeper in your crash logs.

Sources:

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/system-thread-exception-not-handled-fix-heres-the-full-tutorial/

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/search-for-files-and-folders-from-command-prompt-windows-10/

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/list-drives-using-command-prompt-powershell-windows

https://www.shellhacks.com/windows-cat-equivalent-cmd-powershell/

Best Regards, I'm the Law!

- Rhode Island Police Force

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try boot into safe mode, take a look at Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

And check if problem persist?

If NOT look into installed app and programs and uninstall the one which might caused this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I just want to say that I’m super un-tech savvy and that your step by step instructions fixed this issue for me perfectly. Do you also know how I would go about making sure this doesn’t happen again?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jay, glad that I could help out!

This is the first time that I have ever encountered the Blue Screen of Death on Windows 10 since its public release in 2015. Never had any technical issues with Windows 10 until 2020. So I know as little as you at this stage.

Also during my investigations I could see people having the same CorsairVBusDriver.sys issue dating back to 2017. But I never heard/read of any advice on how to prevent this from happening again.

Personally I'm still at the stage where I'm monitoring and evaluating if the software programs and hardware equipment that I introduced to Windows 10 the last week, before BSOD happened will cause my Windows to crash again.

So my tip for you would be to install the software programs that got broken one by one, separating the installs by a day each. To see if your system can maintain its stability.

The same for the hardware equipment if you did something like that during the last week before BSOD. Don't install everything all at once, because that will make it difficult to pinpoint what software or hardware might have caused BSOD.

Windows Update might have included CorsairVBusDriver.sys

Also before my BSOD recovery I had reverted back in time, 3 recovery save points. When I checked in Windows check for updates I saw that they had listed CorsairVBusDriver.sys in one of their sub updates. So maybe this issue is out of anyone's power to prevent from happening again.

Best Regards, I'm the Law!

- Rhode Island Police Force

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do this, it worked for me as well. So stupid, I feel bad for those who arn't technoliterate. I would have probably lost all my client work if I didn't know this kind of stuff.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Omg ty man!!! I hate ms but made an account to say thanks. Although yours didnt  help me as far as type in what you had. Half of what you had made no sense to me $dir s/b. My comand prompt was **** you talking about. But i bumbled about learning as i went. I learned cd was my friend. The trouble file was corsairvbusdriver. I changed 3 of the .sys ones names and i could actually boot normally ( not in safe mode) i then deleted corsair utility wngine and currently downloading new version.  Edit. Im not tech savy. This was new to me. For those like me look up finding files in comand and cahanging names in comand. Thats what saved me.         

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 30, 2021 Views 1,313 Applies to: