Broken security permissions for ntuser.dat

Recently my laptop had a power issue and I sent it for repairing. Given I had some files that I needed to keep close by, we attached the SSD to another system running windows 7, opened my user Folder and took some files from my Downloads folder. When we tried to open the user folder it said that it needs to get permission to open that folder and we pressed continue and then we were able to enter the folder and copy the files. Now that my laptop is repaired, I am unable to enter my own account and I am redirected to a TEMP user folder. All files and folders seem to be intact inside my user folder. The event viewer shows that when trying to read my profile data from ntuser.dat it gets the ACCESS DENIED error. I have already tried sfc /scannow and other tutorials like restarting 4 times or altering the registry to login to my account, but in the end, it seems that there is a serious issue with my user folder's security permissions. I have viewed the security tab for the mentioned folder and all permissions are given to my user, SYSTEM and the administrator. Also, if I try to open a txt file it shows an error saying the path specified is wrong and it did not find the file! even copying the file elsewhere and trying to open it will not work. How can I fix this permission issue and get to load my account data and enter my own Desktop again?

|

You could try a Windows Repair install. It will reset Windows files and permissions while keeping your apps and data:

If that doesn't help, then I think your best course of action is to use a new local account and move your files.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I managed to fully fix the problem, I restarted the permissions of the user folder using icacls and took ownership using takeown, then I manually setup the needed permissions and enabled inheritance to have all the files take the correct permission. And then everything went back to normal. It is not a good idea to jump the gun and lose your data.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I managed to fully fix the problem, I restarted the permissions of the user folder using icacls and took ownership using takeown, then I manually setup the needed permissions and enabled inheritance to have all the files take the correct permission. And then everything went back to normal. It is not a good idea to jump the gun and lose your data.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Please note that neither of the suggested options would have caused loss of data.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 36 Applies to: