Brightness Stuck on Windows 10

Hi,
Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, my brightness has been stuck. Possibly at 100%, my eyes hurt when I look at the screen and the battery doesn't last as long as it used to.
I just cannot find the option of adjusting the brightness! I've searched under battery plans and display settings, but I cannot find the word brightness. The closest I got was under Windows Mobility Center. There I can adjust the volume (it dings and works) and can slide the brightness bar but the brightness does not change. I've read a few forums and tried what I could understand. Device Manager -> Monitors Generic Non-PnP Monitor is enabled. I've tried Display Adapters -> Microsoft Basic Display Adapter-> Update Driver Software and it is up to date. Please help.

Hi Ramya,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have issues with the display. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the display driver and check if it helps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
  2. In the list of devices, you should see the Display drivers.
  3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
  4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
  5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changesoption. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

118 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there,

I am also having the same issue with Screen Brightness stuck on maximum since updating to Windows 10 this afternoon on my Surface Pro 3. Have tried a number of instructions (including your above) and it has not resolved the issue. The screen is stuck on 100%...

Any help would be appreciated. Is there a patch to fix this issue yet?

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Adrian,

Apologize for the delayed response. Let us know the present status of the issue.

Do you experience the same issue in a different user account? If not, I suggest that you create a new user account or check for the issue in a different account.

I suggest that you do a SFC scan in the Computer. System file check is a utility built into the Operating System that will check for system file corruption The sfc /scannow command (System File Check) scans the integrity of all protected operating system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, changed, or damaged versions with the correct versions where possible.

Refer to the Wiki article by ZigZag to do a SFC scan in Windows 10:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Get back to us for further help.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got lost at step 2. I have this problem as well, and even the basic adapter setting doesn't work. Here is my screen so far, the brightness keyskeys and other settings work but the screen itself still remains at 100% brightness. Please help.

31 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2021 Views 31,238 Applies to: