Brand new Windows 7 computer - Can't open explorer.exe, control panel, or help. Can't see or save to C: or D: drives. Got the computer last night, and it worked fine. But tonight I can only access IE, Media Player, etc.

Here's some bacground info...

I only have the default user account at this point, so I have admin rights.  I haven't really done much yet since I just got the computer last night.  I was going to transfer files from my old Vista computer tonight, but I can't even open up explorer on my new Windows 7.  I tried rebooting, but it didn't help.  I also ran the SFC; it did not find any integrity violations. 

When I click on the folder icon on the task bar, I get a dialog box with a heading of "explorer.exe" and a message stating "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.  You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."  If I try to print a web page to XPS, it doesn't commit the save on the C: drive (OS and Program files) or on the D: drive (data).

I have no idea why it is doing this!  It is a brand new system.  Last night I installed Windows updates and changed the desktop background.  I haven't installed any programs or transfered data.  And it was just fine last night; this problem started when I turned it on tonight.  I would greatly appreciate any help!
Answer
Answer
Take it back to where you bought it immediately and get a replacement computer. Be firm and don't let them try and "fix" this one.
MS-MVP - Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2023 Views 41 Applies to: