boot.ini file is missing

I am missing the boot.ini file but I don't have an xp file disk because windows xp came installed.  Do I have to purchase windows xp to fix this issue?

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2020 Views 1,810 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
First make sure that you haven't left a CD/DVD in a drive that is checked for an operating system before the system partition of the hard drive. If there is nothing there, you should be able to reproduce your BOOT.INI file.

XP's BOOT.INI file resides in the root directory of the system drive (usually C:). It is a simple text file but marked as hidden. If you have another computer you can create one or possibly copy one from a computer with a similar configuration to your own (e.g. boot from C:, Windows XP files in c:\Windows, etc).

The following can be copied into Notepad and saved to create a simple BOOT.INI file.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If you have access to another computer, consider mounting the broken hard drive as a slave and creating/copying a BOOT.INI file into the root.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.