Boot Failure When Restarting the Computer

PC will cold boot OK. It does POST as normal, advances to an add-on SATA III controller card, continues to a dual-boot screen (Win 7 / Win 8.1 with Win 7 as the default), then starts Win 7 without problems.

The problem occurs whenever i do a Restart. The PC completes the POST routine but never reaches the dual-boot screen. Instead it displays this:
     "CD-ROM Boot Priority ... No Medium. Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key." 

If i then press the "Reset" button the PC reboots and the same error message appears again. If i press Reset and then enter the BIOS the Boot setup screen still shows First Boot Device as being a hard drive, but my boot drive is not listed and a spare data drive is the first one listed.

My boot drive is an SSD and it's connected to the add-on SATA controller card mentioned above. Also, a regular HDD is connected to that controller card. After the boot failure when doing a Restart, the controller card along with the two drives attached to it are no longer listed in the BIOS.

So, then i hold down the Power button to force a Shutdown. After waiting the usual 10 or 20 seconds for the power supply capacitors to dissipate i press the Power button to turn on the computer and, voila!, it boots normally and all is well.

The issue can be provoked again by selecting Restart. It doesn't matter if the PC has been on for 2 minutes or 2 hours.

To recap, the PC cold boots OK every time, but it fails to boot on Restart every time.

If there's a loose connection the problem should not occur only when Restarting. If it's a driver problem on the controller card then, again, why does it only occur on Restart?

Hoping one of you brilliant troubleshooters can help me resolve this mysterious problem. Any suggestions?

P.S. Almost forgot, the Win 8.1 boot drive is a separate drive connected directly to a SATA II port on the motherboard,; i.e. it's not connected to the add-on controller card. 

Hi Starvin,

I can imagine the inconvenience you have experienced.

What is the make and model of the motherboard/computer?

The reason why you're receiving that message is the system is not detecting any bootable device on the computer or it is boot from a media that is not bootable (CD/DVD/USB). Normally, when there is no medium in the CD/DVD drive the BIOS will go to the second device in the boot sequence. You might want to take the CD out of the boot sequence in the BIOS and make sure the drive the Operating System is loaded is first in the list.

This issue can also occur if something is wrong with the BIOS itself or may be an old CMOS battery.

Note: You may take help of technical support from a real computer shop or the computer manufacturer.

Important: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk. 

Hope this answers your query. You can write back to us for further queries/issues related to windows and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply.

The motherboard is: ASUS P6TD Deluxe (X58 / Socket 1366)

As i mentioned before the Boot setting in system BIOS is:
    1st Boot Device - Hard Drive
    2nd Boot Device - CD/DVD-ROM

The add-on controller with attached boot drive is the First/Primary hard drive.

As i indicated before, the add-on controller with attached Boot Drive is NOT BEING RECOGNISED when Restarting the computer. Therefore, the motherboard/BIOS defaults to the 2nd Boot Device which is the CD/DVD drive. And, since there's no disc in the CD/DVD drive the system generates the aforementioned error message.

Clearly, the problem lies with the add-on controller/boot drive NOT BEING RECOGNISED.

The MYSTERY is why does this ONLY OCCUR when doing a RESTART? Why doesn't it occur when doing a cold boot? When the computer is cold-booted the add-on controller/boot drive IS RECOGNISED and Windows boots up OK.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Starvin,

You may try to update the chipset drivers from the manufaturer's website and check if it helps.

Refer:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P6TD_Deluxe/#support

Note: Select drivers and tools. Select the Operating System and refer the chipset section to install the latest available drivers.

Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 3, 2024 Views 3,326 Applies to: