"Boot critical file C:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\CiPolicies\Active{ ___ }.cip is corrupt" when attempting startup repair

Alright, so I'm going to include a bit of background in case it is relevant. So back in November or so my computer crashed and started booting up with bluescreens which prevented me from launching Windows 10. Long (very long) story short, the only thing that ended up working was installing Windows 11 through usb. Automatic repair and resetting my PC (even full, complete resets) wouldn't work. However, when I upgraded to Windows 11 my computer began to run incredibly slow without using system resources, as well as bluescreening whenever I turned on my PC (which I could bypass by pressing escape to go to BIOS then promptly leaving it). I am not sure if these two things are connected, but I assumed it was a Windows 11 issue. After some struggles, I finally managed to get back to Windows 10 a few weeks ago. However, reverting to Windows 10 did not fix either of those issues, things continue to run really slow, and the bluescreens still occur.

I decided to start by attempting to tackle the bluescreen. I have seen most recommendations suggesting running startup repair with a recovery drive usb, so I decided to try that. However, when running the repair, I get an error message "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC" pointing toward the SrtTrail.txt. Looking at the log file I found the root cause of the failure being "Boot critical file C:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\CiPolicies\Active{ ___ }.cip is corrupt" (numbers in curly brackets omitted for brevity, I can include them if necessary). I tried for instance checking this article and trying each solution, but none of them seemed to fix the problem.

Is there anything else I might be able to try that could fix this issue? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Same issue happened to me and i was able to boot back up by disabling virtualization in bios.

Still don't know of a fix with virtualization enabled though.

UPDATE: Was able to fix the issue while keeping virtualization by uninstalling trusteer rapport as recommended here

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same issue happened to me and i was able to boot back up by disabling virtualization in bios.

Still don't know of a fix with virtualization enabled though.

UPDATE: Was able to fix the issue while keeping virtualization by uninstalling trusteer rapport as recommended here

Hi - I really appreciate your response. Looking at the Surface UEFI menu, I don't see an option to disable virtualization. Where is that?

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue but this only happens when I attempt to boot into safe mode

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wish you good luck. After four weeks of trying to figure it out, I gave up and just saved everything I could to usb drive and reformatted and reinstalled. Definitely not the end of the world - just annoying.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 5,154 Applies to: