Blurry Texts EVERYWHERE! (Especially the browsers)

I don't know if it's me or my eyes, but suddenly today the texts on my browsers and certain pages became blurry and bigger. For instance, the Google's Chrome address bar text is big and blurry. When I type something in the address bar, it does a little weird thing with the texts (seem to be display malfuction?). 

Sometimes the texts are messed up (some are small and tiny, some are big). And at times it seems like my computer tries to focus on the texts and then unfocus (like how a camera tries to adjust in focusing). This never happens before. I've updated my graphics driver. I've adjusted the "zoom". I've tried almost everything that was Google-able. Here are the screenshots...it might not be "blurry" to you, but it is when I use it. For some reason the screenshots make it seem sharp but in reality, it's blurry.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Kamaratana,

I checked the screen shots. I felt that the screenshot which you have provided is not blurred. However you can check the following steps to get the best display on your monitor and fix common problems with blurry fonts in Windows. Blurry font problems can be caused by cables that aren't connected properly, older monitors, and poor screen resolution settings. To address these issues, follow the steps.

Method 1: ClearType Tuning

The ClearType Tuner helps improve font display resolution so that letters on the computer screen appear smooth, not jagged. You can tune fonts for your particular display hardware. Follow these steps to use ClearType Tuning:

1. From the Start Screen, type ClearType, and then tap or click settings.
  2. Tap or click Adjust ClearType text.se this imageExpand this image
In the ClearType Text Tuner window, put a check in the box next to Turn on ClearType. Tap or click Next. this imageExpand this imageFollow the instruction in the ClearType Text Tuner to complete setting up ClearType.  

For more information about how to adjust ClearType settings, see:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/tune.aspx

Check the issue. Move to next method if you still face this issue.

Method 2: Check your font size

If your current font size or dots per inch (DPI) is set to larger than 100%, text and other items on the screen may appear blurry in programs that are not designed for high-DPI display. To fix this problem, set the font size to 100% to see whether the font looks clearer.

To check the font size, follow these steps:

1. From the Start Screen, type Display, and then tap or click Settings.

2. Tap or click Display from the results.Collapse this imageExpand this ima

3. Tap or click Smaller - 100% (default), and then click Apply.

Collapse this imageExpand this imLog off your account, log on again, and then open Internet Explorer to see if the font looks clearer.

Let us know if you still face this issue.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I did the steps you said and it seems to fix the blurry-ness to me. But it's weird because I always liked the font size setting to be at Medium (125%) which helps me see better. The icons on the taskbar would be bigger. And only the titles in the windows would be at 125% size as well. Maybe it is the latest Windows update and adjusted this setting to where 125% font included everything IN the windows and programs. Because I feel like while most of the font sizes at the setting prior to this update was at medium sized; the font in the address bar of the Google Chrome and Facebook, for example, would be at 100% normal size (less pixelated/blurry). I'm not sure why this is. And why Windows decided to do this or if this is a bug or whatever.

Not sure if I can ever restore my Windows to that optimal display setting that I've liked the way it was when it was sent to me from the factory's setting. But I guess I can learn to live with it... and your suggestion kind of fixed it. Thanks!

EDIT: Actually it still really bothers me..

If you look at the bottom taskbar and the address bar. The taskbar size is where I want it to be. However, the address bar is unusually larger than before. I wish I could get a screenshot of how it looked before prior to this problem... Idk if it's a Chrome issue or what, but I did notice that the font size affects other places as well. Like Facebook and Yahoo webpages. This frustrates me, because it is hard for me to explain the problem and Idk if I'm just being OCD or what...

Hi Kamaratana,

I checked the screen shots. I felt that the screenshot which you have provided is not blurred. However you can check the following steps to get the best display on your monitor and fix common problems with blurry fonts in Windows. Blurry font problems can be caused by cables that aren't connected properly, older monitors, and poor screen resolution settings. To address these issues, follow the steps.

Method 1: ClearType Tuning

The ClearType Tuner helps improve font display resolution so that letters on the computer screen appear smooth, not jagged. You can tune fonts for your particular display hardware. Follow these steps to use ClearType Tuning:

1. From the Start Screen, type ClearType, and then tap or click settings.
  2. Tap or click Adjust ClearType text.se this imageExpand this image
In the ClearType Text Tuner window, put a check in the box next to Turn on ClearType. Tap or click Next. this imageExpand this imageFollow the instruction in the ClearType Text Tuner to complete setting up ClearType.  

For more information about how to adjust ClearType settings, see:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/tune.aspx

Check the issue. Move to next method if you still face this issue.

Method 2: Check your font size

If your current font size or dots per inch (DPI) is set to larger than 100%, text and other items on the screen may appear blurry in programs that are not designed for high-DPI display. To fix this problem, set the font size to 100% to see whether the font looks clearer.

To check the font size, follow these steps:

1. From the Start Screen, type Display, and then tap or click Settings.

2. Tap or click Display from the results.Collapse this imageExpand this ima

3. Tap or click Smaller - 100% (default), and then click Apply.

Collapse this imageExpand this imLog off your account, log on again, and then open Internet Explorer to see if the font looks clearer.

Let us know if you still face this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you want to make desktop icons a different size right click the desktop and choose view there are settings in there to change the size. Ctrl + mouse scroll also does it but it can be a pain sometimes depending on the mouse wheel

There are also different settings to make menus and windows have a different font size in the Display settings. There is a drop down list - change only text size - and you can pick which item you want to modify.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another example. Previously my webpages would look like this:

^ this was at the "medium - 125%" setting. Notice how the webpage is zoomed out a little. I used FireFox to zoom out at 80% to illustrate my point. Normally this would be the 100% in Google Chrome prior to my problems occurring.

And below is how it is now at zoomed at 100% in the browser:

Now I don't want to navigate to every webpage and click zoom out to 80% for my optimal viewing. It used to be like the first picture AT 100% zoomed in the browser with the Windows display settings at 125% font size. I don't understand what changed. This notably occurred after the latest Windows update. 

EDIT: Additionally, if I zoomed out on my facebook page at 90% on Chrome, this happens:

You notice that white line in the red circle? That NEVER occurs when I zoom in or out using chrome prior to the Windows update that caused my viewing optimization out of whack. The texts look weird and different too. I can't describe how weird this is...I don't know if anyone is seeing it but it is obvious to me that it is not normal (or at least not like before). I'm not sure if I can ever get it back to the way it was.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And I guess more accurate way to say this is that when I wanted the font size to be "Medium - 125%" I don't want me ENTIRE computer to zoom in at 125%. It seems like that is the case with this....

I still want my taskbar size to be at 125%. But the items on the webpage/windows/whatever should be at 100%. Isn't there a way to customize 100% at one aspect and 125% at the other? It was the case before this incidence happened...I don't know how to fix it. Maybe it was a bug that allowed me to view it like that before, but I liked it. IDK! Everything just seems so blown up! I want the taskbar and the windows' text to be at 125% but everything else go to 100% PLEASE. How do I do that?!?

EDIT: More Examples

Notice the taskbar size above and the size of the LOL Client....Now look:

Now notice how significantly smaller the LOL Client is. Note this is in the SAME resolution (1920x1080). And look at the taskbar...ABYSMAL.

Another look why I don't want 100% size....:

Zoomed:

The TEXT IS SO SMALL.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel like I'm talking to myself, but it seems like the "disable scaling on high DPI settings" is NOT working for some of the applications, like Chrome and IE. I've looked up online and it seems like whether I check the box or not (even in the "All Users" setting) it doesn't matter. The apps don't ignore/disable scaling and everything looks blurry/fuzzy/bigger. So I guess this thread can be geared towards: how to fix or disable scaling in high DPI setting - setting. Thanks!

EDIT: I want to quote this person's article --->

"You can also disable DPI scaling for all applications on a particular display by checking the ‘Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays’ in the ‘Display’ control panel item, and setting the scaling ratio to 100% (Smaller):

The only caveat to this approach is that DPI scaling is also disabled for Explorer, so the taskbar and desktop will be small as well."

http://desktopsandapps.com/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-dpi-scaling-causes-older-applications-to-be-scaledblurred/

See the underlined part? I don't want the desktop to be small. Please someone help me....

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Right click the taskbar > properties > make sure use small icons is unchecked. If it isn't uncheck it and click apply

The facebook line in the top left is an issue with their HTML/CSS and is browser specific. Windows has nothing to do with how chrome reads the text. The graphics card could be an issue. You can try and roll back the driver to an older one to see if that goes away. The reason it is white because the middle area is actually a separate area.

I will look in to the other items you posted

For more Windows tips and fixes

http://www.vindamedia.com/windows/helplist

Help those who help you :)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. I tried that, didn't work. But I think it's the "disable DPI scaling" button on each app, it's not working right.        

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the current resolution. It looks like the width is too small. It looks like it set to a 4:3 not 16:9 or so.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My screen resolution is at max - 1920 x 1080. I don't know where else do change the resolution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 13,425 Applies to: