Bluetooth Pairs and Connects but won't play audio

Hello all,

The basic info: I have a Dell XPS-15 running Windows 10, a Denon AVR-S710W receiver and Google Wifi. The receiver is hardwired to one of the Google Wifi pucks.

Through iTunes, I'm able to use Apple Airplay to play my music library through my receiver and speakers, but I'd like to play other sorts of music through the receiver & speakers as well. I figured I could do this via Bluetooth and ran into some problems.

I was able to pair the Dell with the receiver, and it not only says Paired but Connected. However, I can't select it as an output device. Though it says Connected, if I go to Sound Control Panel, it shows up in the Playback tab as Disconnected. If I right-click and hit Connect, nothing happens.

As a test, I also tried connected a JBL speaker I have. I had no issues getting that paired, connected or using it. When I look at my Bluetooth devices, the Receiver comes up as headphones and just says "Connected", but the JBL speaker comes up as a speaker and says "Connected voice, music". See the picture:

Per information I've found on Google and on other posts on this forum, I've done the following steps already.  I've done each of these three times throughout the day to make sure they weren't the issue:

* Ran the Bluetooth and Sound Troubleshooter (nothing found or fixed).

* All drivers and firmware is updated.

* Stopped and started the Bluetooth service

* Removed the Receiver from the Bluetooth devices and then resinstalled

* Rebooted the PC and restarted the receiver

One more point, maybe this is nothing or maybe this is something. When I paired my PC with the my receiver, the name of the receiver shows up on the receiver display (and the TV it's hooked to). Suppose I leave the laptop open and connected to the receiver - if I change the source of the receiver (to video game or TV or whatever), after a short time the receiver automatically kicks back to Bluetooth and connects to the laptop.

Hello MichaelFronczak, my name is Irisdiel and I am an independent advisor.
I suggest you follow the instructions down below.

Method 1:
-Check if the Bluetooth service is running:
-Press Windows Key + R, type services.msc and press Enter.
-Search for Bluetooth support service.
-Check if it is started, if not Right click on the service and click on Start.

Method 2:
-Reinstall the Bluetooth driver following these steps:
-Press Windows key + X and select “Device Manager”
-Expand “Bluetooth” and right-click on the driver.
-Select “Uninstall”, check marked “delete the software for the device” and select “OK” (after that, you can see there is no “Bluetooth” expansion on "Device Manager")
-Select “Update Driver Software”.
-Restart the computer.

Method 3:
Restart Bluetooth wireless connectivity:
-From the Start screen, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap or click Settings.
-Tap or click Change PC settings.
-Tap or click PC and devices, and then tap or click Bluetooth.
-Under Bluetooth, tap or click to turn Bluetooth Off, and then tap or click again to turn Bluetooth

Hope this helps!
Thank you and good luck,
Regards- Irisdiel H.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello & thank you for the reply.

Previously, I had done Method 1 and Method 3 multiple times, with no luck.

Method 2 worked temporarily.  I followed the directions, was able to add my receiver and play music through it.  However, this brought up a couple of other issues:

1) While I could play music through it, I was unable to configure it - everything was grayed out.  My receiver is a 5.1 system, so I have five speakers and a subwoofer but windows had it as a 2-channel system and only played music out of the the two front speakers and I was unable to change this.

2) Even worse - and I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 thing or a receiver thing - but as long as my laptop was open, the source of the receiver would change to Bluetooth every 15-20 seconds.  I would turn it back to TV, then it would automatically change back to Bluetooth.  The only way to get it to stop was to disconnect it from the Bluetooth devices.

3) This morning, I tried to Connect the receiver again and was right back where I started.  In order to get it to work as speakers again, I had to follow Method 2 again and I'm not sure why.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your concern, let us try steps to resolve this issue . I suggest you to try the receiver on a different PC and check if you are able to play the audio normally. If you don’t face this issue on the different PC, try few troubleshooting steps to fix this issue and check if that helps. Refer the section under ‘Troubleshooting problems with Bluetooth accessories’ and follow the steps under ‘Audio’ from the following article on ‘Fix Bluetooth problems in Windows 10’.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M               
Microsoft Community – Moderator

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 17,903 Applies to: