Blue Screen When WiFi Connecting {Fix Included In Post}

Problem: Blue Screen When Connecting To Wireless Networks/Routers
Reason: Optional Windows Update To WiFi Card
- Update Name: Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc. - Network - Qualcomm Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
- Size 2.9MB
- Release Date: June 2012/Publish Date: July, 4, 2012
Fix: Roll Back WiFi Card Driver

Computer Used/Had This Issue On
-  Compaq Presario C700 - (Windows Vista Home Premium OEMact)
       Upgraded To - (Windows 7 Pofessional {SP1})
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz 1.73 GHz
- 2.00 GB RAM
- 32-bit System
Story/Description:
When you go to windows update you have important and optional updates right, i usually always do both, to help ensue proper and peek operation. But one thing i never expected was the "blue screen of death" caused by and WINDOWS UPDATE!!!! Seriously!!!! anyways fare warning and hopefully a fix in the near future.

Anyways, here is the issue. Under optional updates i receive the option to update my wireless card driver and maybe some other minor things associated with the WiFi operation. So i figure ok, click, and off i go, checked update history first all updates successful, awesome, everything's great right........wrong! The next day i try and connect to a router and i hit connect and 1 sec later BAM! Blue Screen, Process Dump, Computer restarts??????? WTF lol.

I try three different routers/internet connections and the same thing happens. Come to find out for some reason the error codes later found in my c:/windows/minidump is info to suggest the driver, so i go in and roll back the driver, go to networks, hit connect "hold my breath" and presto, it connects, no crashing, no issues, nothing, just flawless connecting.
This was also tested on multiple networks and to date have no issues. Hopefully someone somewhere and get this issue fixed before many people are left with no way to connect to routers and get access when they need it. Because not everyone knows how to fix these issues like i do.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2018 Views 18,438 Applies to:
Answer
Just FYI - the driver uploaded to Windows Update for 3rd party products are provided by the 3rd party manufacturer (or the OEM of the system in some cases).  As I recall these are accepted by Microsoft without being tested.

As such I recommend NEVER updating drivers through Windows Update.
I also don't recommend updating them from the OEM website unless the 3rd party developer doesn't offer them on it's website.

- John
My website: http://www.carrona.org/

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.