Blue Screen problems after the cumulative update (KB4487017) for Win10 1803.

It would appear there is a rather severe problem with the cumulative update (KB4487017).

Many users are reporting BSOD faults after this update was installed as part of the Patch Tuesday updates around 12-12-19.

For me, I got the update sometime overnight and the update showed an install date of 12-13-19. My symptoms were my Chrome browser started shutting down unexpectedly. Finally, I got a BSOD with an explanation of a Memory Management problem. I ran an extended memory test that night and the next morning there were no reported problems with my RAM. I'm running 8 Gigs of DDR3. I also ran the sfc /scannow system file checker tool. It also reported no issues.

At this point, I decided to uninstall the cumulative update (KB4487017). Previous to the original update installation I was running Win10 1803 build 17134.556. Immediately after the 12-13-19 updates, I was running Win10 1803 build 17134.590. Once I removed the update I was taken back to Win10 1803 build 17134.1

I no longer had any issues with the chrome browser shutting down unexpectedly or any BSODs.

A few days later on 2-19-19, I chose to reinstall the cumulative update (KB4487017). Mainly to see if the problem would return. When I checked for updates I was given the cumulative update (KB4487017) and also given the Win10 1803 update KB4023057. Both of these installed successfully. I have not had any more issues with my Chrome browser shutting down unexpectedly or BSODs. I am back on Win10 1803 build 17134.590. 

I do not require any troubleshooting or help with this issue. Everything seems to be working correctly now. I am just putting this info out to hopefully help others that are having issues.

I'm seeing a lot of posts that are posting minidump files with many different causes. Of course, there are many experts giving an analysis of these minidump files giving advice based on the causes of the BSOD minidumps. While this might be sound advice normally this looks like the last thing to load into the memory is not always the cause of the BSOD. It is merely the thing that causes the memory to "go over budget". It appears to me this can be anything. 

I feel there is a major flaw in the original cumulative update (KB4487017). Uninstalling the update seems to cure the problem. reinstalling the update does not cause the issue to repeat. At least for me.

I hope this information helps. I really have no rational explanation for these issues.

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Interesting - we weren't able to get the update for KB4487017 to install at all.  We have updates set up to deploy through WSUS, and users started complaining that the update would start to install, eventually to fail, roll back changes, and then reboot and try again.  Eventually it would give up and report that the update had failed.  We've tried all of the suggestions we could find on the Internet, but nothing seemed to help.  We are now looking at just blitzing an upgrade to 1809 instead of fighthing this one. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Good luck with that. I do have one laptop that I manually updated to 1809 and that computer had no problems, but from what I've seen on these boards 1809 is full of issues for many different setups.

So much so that Microsoft has not seen fit to force-feed the 1809 update since they initially pulled it. The only people getting the update are those who seek it out. Now known as advanced users.

I did not find anything compelling in 1809 that I can't live without. I will not install 1809 on any more computers until it is forced on me. Just not worth the risk.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

yes so what about that blue screen i still have here?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unfortunately, there are innumerable causes of blue screen crashes with computers. If you would be so kind as to start a new thread with as much detail as possible about your current situation there are many people here that will try to help you troubleshoot your specific issue.

Include make and model number of your computer, as much hardware info as you can such as hard drive, ram, type of processor, etc. Also, what version of windows and build number you are on, and any messages you might have received about your BSOD crash. The more details you can provide the better chance you have of reaching a successful conclusion to your problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I just found your other thread. Looks like you are getting some good responses there. 

Best of luck with your BSODs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks to Q-U-I-G-M-O for detailed and accurate report! Due to this thread I managed to stop bsod hell on my main computer, at least temporary. I removed the February updates and the system crashes no more. Waited for a week to make sure and there were no more crashes. I've just reinstalled these updates to see whether the issue returns or not.

Update: In my case the problem does return. BSOD due to memory management the day after I reinstalled the updates. Once again I had to uninstall kb4487029 and then kb4487017. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated May 28, 2020 Views 1,068 Applies to: