Blue Screen of Death "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" error

Last week I was trying to install wi-fi in my room and was having trouble so I called D-Link technical support who walked me through the process. They told me step by step what to do and I ended up typing stuff into the command screen and changing an IP address. I thought that it was weird that they did not tell me to ever use the install disk but thought nothing of it when they were able to help me get my router to work without the disk. I then had to re-register my internet with my college since I was now going to use wireless and doing so I was required to re-download McAfee virus protection which I did despite me already having it on my computer from when I first registered it last year when I was a freshman. As soon as that completed I restarted my computer and that is when the troubles began.

What happens is I see my computer's login screen like normal and login, however, as soon as my desktop appears (or within a minute or two after) the blue screen of death appears saying that the issue is "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION". This appears everytime I turn on/restart my computer and am only able to get into some parts of my computer/the internet through Safe Mode. I stoped using my wi-fi, returned it, and hooked up my ethernet cable instead. In safe mode there was a help screen which recommended I restore the system to earlier that morning, which I tried and after restarting the computer realized that it did not fix the problem. I also tried restoring it to the previous day which did not work either. I really do not know what to do to fix my computer and it could be weeks before my tech help at my college can help me. I would appreciate any advice! Thank you!
Answer
Answer

Hi Queen_of_Aces,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forums.

There are several reasons for this error to occur like any hardware device causing the error or any third party program or service and any errors on the hard drive.

Make sure that there are no external devices connected to the computer except mouse and keyboard.

As the computer is able to boot to safe mode there might be some third party program or service causing the error in the normal mode.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Perform clean boot and check if you have the issue.

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

User Account Control permission

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

5. Click OK.

6. When you are prompted, click Restart.

7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

Reset the computer to start as usual

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

If the issue is resolved check which third party is causing the problem, referring the link given below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the above step do not fix the issue please try a startup repair of Windows vista for more information refer the below link.

Startup Repair is a Windows Vista recovery tool that can fix certain problems, such as missing or damaged system files, that might prevent Windows from starting correctly. When you run Startup Repair, it scans your computer for the problem and then tries to fix it so your computer can start correctly.

Make system repairs from the Windows Recovery Environment

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/95b4c03a-ac42-49a4-a90d-8f3736a995271033.mspx

How to fix BlueScreen (STOP) errors that cause Windows Vista to shut down or restart unexpectedly

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/958233

Hope this information is helpful.

Let me know if this worked.

All the best!

Thanks and Regards:

Halima S    - Microsoft Support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2022 Views 34,006 Applies to: