Blue Screen of Death every time I turn on my computer, followed by a system restart. Help?!

I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on my Toshiba Satellite. I recently shut down my computer, only to find that every time I turn it on I get a message stating this:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause.

If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally.
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
     Start Windows Normally"

When I choose 'Launch Startup Repair', all my laptop proceeds to do is attempt to log on, and then there appears a black screen. After two minutes the mouse appears, then all actions stop. I have even left my computer running (after choosing 'Launch Startup Repair') all night while i slept. After waking, the screen was still black with the mouse pointer in the screen.

When I try the 'Start Windows Normally' option, all I get is a blue screen of death, and a system restart. I have even tried every option after holding down F8, and all of those end with a blue screen of death and a system restart as well.

When I try to boot from my DVD, the same thing as the 'Launch Startup Repair' happens. I really need help with this, if anyone is out there to hear my plea.

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2018 Views 30,239 Applies to:
Answer

Hi sepherimorth,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows 7 Community.  Try the following troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. 

This article discusses how to boot to Windows Advanced Options menu.

1. Disconnect all external devices (printers, USB hubs, USB drives, etc...) and then boot up.

If this corrects the issue then add the devices back one at a time until you discover the piece of hardware causing the issue.  Then get any updated drivers\software for the device.

2. Use the”Last known good configuration” from the Windows Advanced Options menu. 

If this option resolves the issue then look for any updates or software installs that may have caused the problem.

3. Boot to Safe Mode from the Windows Advanced Options menu.

If you can get into Safe Mode then the issue could be driver or software related. 

From within Safe Mode run a System Restore.  This article gives instruction on the System Restore process.

4.   From a command prompt, run chkdsk /r.  Select yes when prompted to schedule at the next startup and restart your computer.

Please let us know if this helps.

Dena
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Dena

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.