Blackscreen with mouse cursor after startup

Hi, i recently keep getting a black screen with cursor after normal startup. I haven't done anything significant to my laptop and i didn't mess with any of my system files or downloaded and installed anything recently.
The startup speed suddenly became extremely slow, taking about 10-15 minutes at the Starting Windows page and i will get a black screen with my mouse cursor that can be moved. After getting that screen for a short while, i will have my usual login screen, followed by another blackscreen with a movable mouse cursor. Left and right clicks do not work and Ctrl+Alt+Delete works but i need to wait for like 5 minutes after pressing it on my keyboard.
I am able to on my safe mode with no problems (As i assume since i usually don't use safe mode). 
My OS is Windows 7 Home premium.
My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad Y480p
I use a 64-bit system and my display adaptor is AMD Radeon HD 6550M.
Do tell me if anymore information is needed.

Oh, to add on, i had looked online for a bit and tried some solutions.
I tried using the last good configuration but i still get the same result.
I tried using a lower resolution to start up (640 x 480) but still get the same result.
I wasn't able to do system restore in safe mode as i do not have any past save points.
|

Hi Julius,

We appreciate your efforts towards fixing the issue.

You might be facing the issue due to corrupted display drivers or due to some registry changes.

I would suggest you to refer to the following article and follow the steps given.

Why is my screen black when I start Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows7/why-is-my-screen-black-when-i-start-windows-7

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the link to view the article:

Back up the registry

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

If the above steps do not work, then you can try the steps given in the article to perform a startup repair and check.

Use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

Do let us know if the issue persists. We would be happy to help you further.

Regards,
Tadasha Mishra

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have tried fixing the registry and also updating the drivers. For the registry, I followed the steps and tried restarting but the problem still remains. For the drivers, I tried updating by searching online and it told me that the drivers are already up to date, hence it didn't help out much at all. 
However, during one of the restarts, I got a blue screen window saying that there is a error.
This is a photo of how the error looks like. 
Do you have other methods to help me out? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Julius,

Thank you for the update.

I would suggest you to download and install all the latest drivers for the computer from the manufacturer’s website. Here is the link for your reference.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_IN/downloads/default.page?

I would also suggest you to refer to the suggestion given by Forest Brook on February 23, 2010 in the following thread and check.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-64-bit-bsod-stop-error-0x0f4-fixed/f4a12a56-30d9-492e-9ed1-3a2504feb5a7

Let us know about the status of the issue.

Regards,
Tadasha Mishra

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same problem occur recently on two of my computers. 

On CPU 1:
Did a System Restore which fixed the problem but broke my antivirus (Avira Free). Had to uninstall Avira, then re-install it. I think I selected Early Startup (as service), but not 100% sure. All worked well.

On CPU 2:
Didn't do a System Restore, just uninstalled Avira. Rebooted and slow-down disappeared. Re-installed Avira (using Normal startup) and it still boots fine.

I'm not gonna fiddle too much, but if I was guessing I'd say an update (Microsoft or Avira) broke/interfered with my antivirus and uninstalling and reinstalling antivirus should act as a good workaround.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This fix applies to my model y-580 ideapad and similar Lenovo laptops. 

Upon startup, mine would boot to a black screen with cursor about 1 time in 5.  After much frustrating trial and error, I found the problem.  It's a Lenovo program: touchzone.exe.

You can deal with this two ways.  One is to push ctrl-alt-delete while in the black screen, and go to the task manager. Under applications you'll find Lenovo touchzone.  Kill that process, and your desktop comes back immediately!  Each time you get the black screen, do this and you're back to normal.

The other solution ensures it won't happen again.  Go to the file itself (c:\program files\lenovo\intelligent touchpad\touchzone.exe and rename the file to something else like touchzoneexe.old.  Viola, problem solved!

Hope this helps someone.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2021 Views 21,934 Applies to: