Black search box fixed, Windows 10

I could not search after the latest update.

I use small icons on the task bar. When I typed a search term in it just went black.

Nothing on the posts worked. I went into task bar properties and changed the small icons to large and search now works.

Does anyone else have the same problem and does this solution work?

Hi Charles,
I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

It was a known issue yesterday. Have to restarted Windows Explorer process and SearchUI?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5970-restar...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/releas...

Resolved: Windows Search shows blank box
We are aware of a temporary server-side issue causing Windows search to show a blank box. This issue has been resolved for most users and in some cases, you might need to restart your device. We are working diligently to fully resolve the issue and will provide an update once resolved.

This issue was resolved at 12:00 PM PST. If you are still experiencing issues, please restart your device. In rare cases, you may need to manually end the SearchUI.exe or SearchApp.exe process via Task Manager. (To locate these processes, select CTRL + Shift + Esc then select the Details tab.)

Content on the above blog is written by a Microsoft MVP so it is safe. However, do watch out for the ads.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Many thanks for attending to this so quickly

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad to help, Charles. Let us know if there is anything else.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I have the same problem but going in to manually change the Search features with the help of a MS Advisor did not resolve the problem. Now I'm being told that I can either try with another advisor who might be able to help resolve the problem or I'll have to wait for the next MS update. Meanwhile, the search box is black, my file explorer is gone, along with the snipping tool and who knows what else.

Do you have any suggestions on how to resolve the problems?

Thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I went onto the task bar settings. I switched off "use small taskbar buttons. " As soon as I did that the "type here to search" box appeared on the taskbar. I was then able to search. I am on Windows 10, 64 bit latest version on a Dell Latitude E5500. It certainly works for me. I hope this is a help

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2024 Views 28,339 Applies to: