BLACK SCREEN WITH CURSOR ON NEW ACER PC

I recently purchased a new Laptop Acer Aspire V3 and PC World pre installed Windows 10 on it.  But it now keeps coming up with a black screen and showing the cursor.  Do I take my PC back or is there an easy solution to this that I can do myself?

Hi Mich,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

Sorry to know that you are unable start Windows 10 as it is stuck with Black screen and cursor. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if the display drivers goes corrupted or the startup files are damaged.

I suggest you to follow the steps recommended by Amit Kumar on September 24, 2015 on similar issue from the following link and check if it resolves the issue.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/black-screen-with-cursor-windows-10/0585d01d-7589-4b05-9d9a-69a9a9fba37f

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi. NO this did not help the issue it made it worse and when I spoke to Microsoft about it they made it even worse!! My laptop was basically useless!! Nothing would work on it. There seems to be a huge compatibility problem with Windows 10 on computers that weren't made for it. I have a brand new laptop with 8.1 pre installed. PC World put Windows 10 on it when I bought it and failed to inform me that it would probably cause it to stop working. 

Microsoft told me that there is a problem so I don't understand why they are still getting people to use it it should be stopped until the problem is fixed!! I am really unhappy about this! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I can imagine the inconvenience you are experiencing right now, please try these steps below,

Follow the steps given below and check if that helps.

Step 1: Start the computer in safe mode and update the drivers.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

Note: Restart the  computer in normal mode to place the computer back to normal mode.

Step 2: Update display/graphic adapter driver.

Follow the steps below to update the graphics/display drivers.

1. Press Windows + X key on the keyboard.
  2. Go to device manager.
  3. Right-click your display/graphic devices.
  4. Click Update Driver Software and then follow the steps in the wizard that appears.

Restart the computer and check.

Step 3: Check in compatibility mode.

Download the drivers from your computer manufacture website for Windows 10, if not available. Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website.

b. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘properties’.

c. Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.

d. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.

You may also refer: Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows (Steps applies to Windows 10)

Please post back with the results. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2021 Views 4,296 Applies to: