Question

Q: Black screen and restoring to factory settings

I have not had any problems with my computer until now. I turned it on today, gave me an opinion to start windows normally or start windows recovery. If I start up normally it will restart itself and give me this message again, if I start windows recovery there will be a loading bar at the bottom and then a black screen with only my cursor I can move. I can't alt+ctrl+dlt or start it in safety mode, won't work. I am so done that I am just going return it back to factory settings. I don't have a disk to do that. I have pressed f8 in the start up and pressed restore computer but then a menu won't come up to let me select factory settings. I just wana turn it back to factory settings... I have no idea what to do. I need help:(

Hello Kitty,

It sounds like you have a factory restore partition on your computer. Most systems access that by hitting either the F9 or F11 Keys, though there are variations. Try F9, and if that doesn't work F11. If those don't work, please post back here with your computer make and model and we'll try again.

Let me know how you fare.

Regards,

BearPup

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tried what you said, didn't work. I have a Toshiba Satelite running Windows 7. I have reset my computer to factory settings before.. I don't remeber how I did it and not sure why nothing is working

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Kitty,

OK, here is an article from the Toshiba website that tells you how to do it. Scroll down till you get to the "free recovery":  http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/System-Recovery-and-Recovery/How-To-Perform-system-recovery-Windows-7/ta-p/279643 .

Let me know how you fare.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

Kept beeping and no screen came up.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Kitty,

It sounds suspiciously like a virus or piece of malware. There is one program I can suggest to you that others have had success with. The downside is that it is a very large download. On the computer you're using to connect with me here, download and make a bootable disc with BootMed. The 32 bit version is here: http://download.cnet.com/BootMed/3000-2094_4-75448200.html ; the 64 bit version is here: http://download.cnet.com/BootMed-64Bit/3000-2094_4-75450831.html .

That should take care of you. Let me know how you fare.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have another computer.. On my phone

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Kitty,

Now I'm stumped! I don't know phone apps or how to do it without a computer. Is there no one you can 'borrow' their computer to download and make the BootMed CD on? I honestly don't know what else to tell you, except that I should bow out and let you post this as a new support request for help with a virus through a phone "computer".

I'm truly sorry I couldn't help you. Let me know if you can find a computer to 'borrow'.

Regards,

BearPup

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 2,461 Last updated: April 13, 2018 Applies to: