BitLocker Recovery Key Entered Correctly but it Just Keeps Immediately Asking Me for it Again and Again

I just turned on BitLocker on my device today and upon restarting it asks me for my Recovery Key, which I had printed. I then enter the Recovery Key, it displays that the key was entered correctly and it then says to click the Restart button to enter Windows on the device. However, upon clicking the restart button and waiting a moment for the system to restart (it shows the normal load screen that says "Surface" like it always does when it boots up but now that load screen also says "Preparing BitLocker Recovery" at the bottom) it just returns me to the same screen that requires me to enter my Recovery Key. Clicking the button to "Skip This Drive" gets me nowhere as the options in there are to 1) "Continue" which brings me back around again to the screen that requires me to enter the recovery key, 2) "Turn Off Your PC" which eventually also brings me back to the screen requiring me to enter my recover key, 3) "Use A Device" which I don't have any usb or network device that I set up to use, and 4) "Troubleshoot" which begins the process of resetting my device, which I do not want to do. This is a work computer and it has documents and files that I really need constant access to and will affect many people's jobs.

Basically as soon as I started using BitLocker I was and still am permanently locked out of accessing anything at all on my device, a devastatingly opposite function of what encrypting was supposed to provide me.

The device is a Surface Pro 4 and it has Windows 10 Pro on it. I will provide any further requested details and specs that I can but as I cannot enter the device in any way I am aware of I'm afraid I'm not really sure even how to see any further details.

Please, any advice is appreciated. I will try whatever I need to in order to regain access of my computer without having to reset it and lose everything on it. Again, I have the Recovery Key, it is correct, the Identifier Key matches up, but it just keeps immediately asking me for the Recovery Key no matter how many times I enter it and press continue....

Thank You. I Certainly Appreciate It

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system with bit locker setup on your device. Do not worry, I will check what best I can do to help you out and ensure you receive assistance as soon as possible.

Let us know if your device/ user account is connected to a domain network?

I suggest you to refer to the below help article sand check if it helps.

Refer to: To unlock removable data drive in the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

For further reference, I suggest you to refer to the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/bitlocker-drive-encryption

If your device is connected to a domain network, I recommend you to contact TechNet Forums for better assistance.

Our TechNet team will assist you better in this regard.

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the response.

I'm not connected to a domain network.

And the links you provided seem to only give suggested actions that require me to have access to my device and change some settings, which I do not have and cannot do.

Guessing I'm out of luck then? Any other ideas?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

I understand how frustrating it is with out an access to device using Bit locker.

Since the Bit locker key is not working, I suggest you to contact the TechNet Forums for better assistance.

This team who are expertise with Bit locker will help you.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I have exactly the same issue. My device a tablet with Intel ATOM from a Local Brand, running Windows Pro 10 is in an infinite loop. My device is freshly installed. Outside a domain.

The only thing I did after complete fresh install, was install Bitlocker. It installs succesfully. When I reboot, there is a short message saying: Preparing Bitlocker Recovery" and then goes to the Bitlocker Screen where it requests me to "enter the recovery key to get going again"... which I do and it unlocks the device and then says: Bitlocker The Recovery Key is correct, Press Restart to accept changes and restart your PC... which I do... but, instead of booting into Windows, it shows again the "Preparing Bitlocker Recovery" and brings me back to enter the recovery key to get going".

I can exit this infinite loop by following the instructions here:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18671.bitlocker-troubleshooting-continuous-reboot-loop-with-bitlocker-recovery-on-a-slate-device.aspx

1. Choose the “Skip this drive” link at the bottom of the page where you are asked to enter the recovery key. You should be presented with a menu that will let you get to a command prompt (The sequence is Advanced options -> Troubleshoot -> Advanced options -> Command prompt).
  2. Once you have a command prompt,  use the following command to check the BitLocker status of the C: drive:
    • manage-bde -status c:
  3. If the status is returned as locked, you’ll need to use the following command to unlock it using your recovery password:
    • manage-bde -unlock c: -rp <your 48-digit recovery password>           
  4. Once the drive is unlocked you'll need to use the following command to suspend protection:
    •  manage-bde -protectors -disable c:          
  5. Then exit and reboot. The computer should now successfully boot Windows. Once there, use the BitLocker control panel to resume BitLocker protection.

And I can manage to boot Windows, but Bitlocker is suspended and this is not what I want since I need Bitlocker on. I resume protection again, reboot, and I am again in the previous infinite loop. My problem has not been caused because of the TPM protecting itself from a time-out (like the article above explains). In my case when I am promted to enter the key, Bitlocker says that "You need to enter your recovery key because your PC's configuration has changed. This may have happened because a disc or USB device was inserted. Removing it and restarting may fix this problem.

But I can gurantee that I have not done any HW changes in the PC. I have no inserted or removed anything. My tablet has a keyboard similar to a Surface.

IMO, This problem has something to do with the fact that this tablet is a dockable system (same as the previous entry of the person who owns a Surface)... but I dont know how to solve this...

Please help,

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I appreciate your time and concern.

I would suggest you to use steps provided in the following articles and check.
Refer:
Find my BitLocker recovery key
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/find-my-bitlocker-recovery-key

BitLocker recovery keys: Frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/bitlocker-recovery-keys-faq
(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure if i explained correctly my issue. i do have my recovery key. i enter it when prompted to do it and the device says that it was successfully entered but when it boots again it ask again for the key. looks like the process by which bitlocker or the tpm checks the hardware is wrong and the device thinks there has been a hardware change. i am pretty sure the problem is with the fact that the device is a laptop with touch screen but with a detachable keyboard and Atom processor (very similar toma Surface). there must be a bug in the BIOS or in windows RE.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I appreciate your patience.

You may use the following commands in command prompt from Windows recovery environment. Press Enter after typing each command.

Manage-bde –protectors –delete C: -type TPM

Manage-bde –protectors – add C: -tpm

Please keep us posted.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I assume you are asking to run this by clicking on Skip this Drive and then entering the Command Prompt to enter Windows RE

when I run directly the command you provided (manage-bde –protectors –delete C: -type TPM) I get the following error: Error: the operation cannot be performed because the volume is locked

So I unlock it typing manage-bde -unlock c: -rp My 48 digit key, which successfully unlocks it.

I type again manage-bde –protectors –delete C: -type TPM

and now I get this error:

Bitlocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool Version 10.0.10011

Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Volume C: [Windows]
Key Protectors of Type TPM

TPM:
       ID: {7F0679D8-751C-47D4-BAF4-

ERROR: An error occurred while deleting the key protector.
Bitlocker Drive Encryption can only be used for limited provisioning or recovery purposes when the computer is running in pre-installation or recovery environments.

So I run again manage-bde -protectors -disable c: in order that my system can boot again and before booting I entered again the command you provided: manage-bde –protectors –delete C: -type TPM and got the same message above mentioned.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for the update.

I appreciate your efforts.

I would suggest you to update BIOS from the computer/device manufacturer's website and check the issue.
Refer:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bios-faq#1TC=windows-7
(Also holds good for Windows 10)

Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Please keep us informed.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I updated the BIOS and issue still persists. I think the problem is related to the keyboard. As I mentioned the device is a 2:1 very similar to a Surface Pro with a magnetic detachable keyboard. The strange thing is that when Windows RE presents the screen to enter the key, I have to plug the keyboard since the touch screen does not work. So looks like WindowsRE or TPM or BIOS *thinks* that the device is a laptop installation/WindowsRE time and a tablet at pre-boot time or viceversa and this is the reason it thinks there has been a hardware change and request to enter the password over and over. It is very strange Windows RE does not recognize the touch. I have activated Bitlocker with and without keyboard and booted with and without keyboard (4 combinations) and the result is the same. Could this be the issue? If yes, only a BIOS update can solve it or is there a configuration parameter?

Maybe a workaround would be to disable TPM HW check and only use it for key storage (or even use a external USB for key storage and disable TPM). How do I do this? I have seen some posts about it but I don't know how to revert the changes to the original state if it does not work.

Thanks for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 13,310 Applies to: