BitLocker asking for recovery key after KB4535680

I have installed updates from 12th january, including KB4535680.

After installation, BitLocker ask for a recovery key on boot up.

Probably because the updates added dbx modules to the UEFI.

This issue is also described here:

https://support.microsoft.com/de-ch/help/4535680/security-update-for-secure-boot-dbx

The problem at hand is, that i never knew that i`ve turned on BitLocker. Neither i know the recovery key. It is also not in my microsoft account.

I had this problem with BitLocker two times before and used this workaround for my Dell Inspiron 5580:

https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-10/BitLocker-need-a-key-but-I-never-installed-it/m-p/7427359#M14749

Unfortunately this does not work this time...

Is there a way to fix this??

E.g.

• uninstalling the update although i cannot unlock the bitlockered system drive?
  • resetting the UEFI dbx changes? (reflashed the firmware, but without success)
Is this a surface device by any chance?  Finding your BitLocker recovery key in Windows 10 (microsoft.com) I would try that link and log into  your Microsoft account and see if it's stuck up there.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi AndreasHartung1 & Susan Bradley

I am facing the same issue since 1 month and I can get no sleep!

I don't have access anymore to my laptop data and I spent countless hours in forums, Youtube, discussing with Microsoft Support, calling Lenovo Support... no one seemed to know about this and I was about to start to believe I am going nuts!

I am having a Bitlocker recovery screen and I don't have that key in my Microsoft/OneDrive account, on a printout I saved, on a USB flash drive, in an Azure Active Directory, held by a system administrator or whatsoever! Worth to mention this is a home/personal computer (nobody but me never used it).

Please trust me, even if I had Alzheimer's disease, I will remember it!

Is there a way to bypass that Bitlocker recovery screen in my laptop?

I cannot uninstall updates from that screen (advanced option > uninstall updates) so I've thought about downgrading or upgrading the BIOS... can it help?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2021 Views 514 Applies to: