Bing in Start Search in Windows 10

I want to remove or disable Bing in the Start Search in Windows 10. The common advice in the Internet is the following: in Cortana & Search Settings 

- Click the switch beneath Cortana can give you suggestions, reminders, alerts, and more at the top of the menu so that it turns off.

- Click the switch beneath Search online and include web results so that it turns off.

My issue is I cannot locate the Cortana & Search Settings. I’ve switched off Cortana in all the options presented in Permissions. I’ve looked everywhere. I have Windows 10 Home Version 1903 OS Build 18362.535.

I do not want to deal with this by fiddling with the registry.

Hi,

The two settings you have mentioned are the only ways to change this behaviour officially. If include web results is off then it shouldn't be showing them. The only other way to disable this behaviour currently is by editing the registry.

This is done by opening HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search in regedit. And creating two new DWORD values in the right click contest menu. "BingSearchEnabled" and "CortanaConsent" and setting them both to 0.

I hope that helps

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I think there is a bug in Windows 10. I’d love to get access to the Cortana Search setting as shown in the images below. But those are not available. I keep on clicking (left click, right click, double click) the notebook as shown in the image but I do not get the same screen as below. Instead I get two buttons, i.e., Sign in button and May be later button. I wish someone will report this issue to Microsoft. I will submit it in the Feedback Hub but I am hoping someone in this community knows how to get around the bug without fiddling with the registry.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are they visible in the Settings app itself? They are normally visible there rather than a tab fom the cortana panel.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, it is not available anywhere in Settings. Also, if one opens Microsoft Edge's Settings > Advanced, scroll down to Address bar search, Change search engine, the "Set as default" and "Remove" buttons are grayed out. So from the Microsoft Edge settings, we cannot remove or replace Bing either.

When you click on the Start Search, it will show Top Apps, among them is Microsoft Edge. I have not (never) been using Microsoft Edge even. So obviously the "Top Apps" is more a marketing ploy.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Concur. Same here.

No, it is not available anywhere in Settings. Also, if one opens Microsoft Edge's Settings > Advanced, scroll down to Address bar search, Change search engine, the "Set as default" and "Remove" buttons are grayed out. So from the Microsoft Edge settings, we cannot remove or replace Bing either.

When you click on the Start Search, it will show Top Apps, among them is Microsoft Edge. I have not (never) been using Microsoft Edge even. So obviously the "Top Apps" is more a marketing ploy.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Glad someone realizes this. And wish Microsoft will lean more towards correctness as opposed to marketing ploys.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Team,

How do I enable the big search in Windows? I never tried to disable. However, I cannot see the search results either.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. On the search tab in Windows 10, it defaults to using "Bing" without you doing anything.

2. On the Internet, you need to set "Bing" as the default search engine in your browser settings. For this you need to set it up yourself by going to the settings of whatever browser you are using.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 6, 2024 Views 4,506 Applies to: