Best way to do specific date search in Windows 10 File Explorer?

Much seems to have been said about the difficulty that emerged, some 2 years ago, in accessing the Search Ribbon on Windows 10 File Explorer – and then to be presented with the limited eight options (‘today’ to ‘last year’) available for date search. Not good enough for my needs.

For doing just a specific date search, I have evolved a work-around of sorts as detailed in the next two paras.

If you know the specific folder, then the Search Ribbon is not required:

• Open the folder in File Explorer.

• Left click the small down arrow to the right of the ‘Date’ or ‘Date Modified’ header; the calendar box appears.

• Select your date; for a date range – shift and left click on the closing date. The files for the chosen date(s) will appear.

If you need to widen your search to include sub-folders, then the Search Ribbon is required.

• Open an appropriate folder in File explorer – this may be as high-level as ‘Documents’ or ‘Pictures’.

• As stated in the para above, bring up the calendar box and select the date/range.

• Enter ‘*.*’ in the search box and activate the search to bring up the Search Ribbon.

• In the Search Ribbon, ensure the ‘All subfolders’ option is selected. The files for the chosen date(s) will appear.

I may well have stumbled upon a solution that seems adequate for my requirements. Is there a better way of doing a specific date search in Windows 10 File Explorer?

Wil there be a better date search facility in Windows 11?

Answer
Answer
Once you type the syntax for the dates, the search tab should appear in the ribbon. From there you have the option to select to search in all subfolder, hopefully that should give you a good working solution.

Kind Regards,
Elise

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2024 Views 21,654 Applies to: