Backlit keyboard not working after reinstalling Win 10

Hi!

I own an Asus gaming laptop, the ROG Strix GL503VD and I've recently had some problems with the hybrid drive the laptop came with (it got corrupted), so I had to reinstall Windows 10 64-bit on a new, separate SSD I bought myself. All is working great, except my backlit keyboard won't light up at all. Before reinstalling the OS, it was working just fine. I made sure my drivers are all up to date, downloaded directly from the manufacturer's website, my BIOS is the latest version (310) and I don't think this could be some sort of hardware problem, since it's strictly a home laptop and I don't go smacking it around. I was hoping I could get some help because I'm all out of ideas and the backlight is one of the few reasons I bought this laptop in the first place, it's very useful to me and I'd like to have it work again.

Thanks in advance!

Hi spookyless,

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this.

The backlight on the keyboard on Asus laptops is controlled by the ATK driver and software, did you download and install that form the support page on the Asus website?

On your keyboard, is it the F3 or F4 key that controls the keyboard backlight, if that key does not work on its own, if you press Fn + that key does that work?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi!

Yeah, I made sure to download all my drivers from the designated page on the Asus website, specifically for the model I own and they're all up to date.

On my keyboard, F3 and F4 are for media playback (pause/play and forward), instead the keys I have for the backlight are the UP and DOWN arrows. I tried the combo Fn + UP or DOWN to no avail. This pops up, but the lights do not turn on.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi spookyless

Boot your system into BIOS, check in there for a setting fro your keyboard backlight, in the meantime I will be doing some research on the Asus website.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you! I'll do just that and post an update after!

UPDATE:

No such luck, didn't find any setting for the backlight, still not working :(

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi spookyless

I think the best option is to contact Asus support on their website, because the keyboard backlight is controlled by Asus software outside of Windows and they should be able to provide you with a solution that is specific to your device.

Power to the Developer!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thing is, I did, and Asus support didn't help at all. They told me to install the same drivers I already have installed and urged me to take it for a checkup at their authorized service center, but before I did that I was hoping I might receive some miracle solution here. I'll see what I can do, but thank you for the help anyway, you've been most kind!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 1,685 Applies to: