Back Up on Windows 10

I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had it set to back up to an E$xeternal hard Drive every 24 hours.  It worked fine on Windows 7 but now on Windows 10 every time I try to back up now I get Error code 0x800700E1. "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software." I get this every time.

Although I have changed to Windows 10,  my Control Panel Item still reads "Back Up and Restore (Windows 7)". How can I change this?

I have deleted everything on the External Hard Drive I am trying to back-up to, but every time I try to back up now I get this Error code 0x800700E1. "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software."

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Refer to the suggestions by Andre Da Costa replied On July 13, 2015 in the link given below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/roll-back-to-older-os/b5d56ed6-9423-4b99-88fa-5e69a1e4e7e7

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am also having this problem and the solution offered does not solve the problem.

Regards

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same following problem,  after updating from windows 7 to windows 10 , as posted by jack harness:

" Back Up on Windows 10

I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had it set to back up to an E$xeternal hard Drive every 24 hours.  It worked fine on Windows 7 but now on Windows 10 every time I try to back up now I get Error code 0x800700E1. "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software." I get this every time.

Although I have changed to Windows 10,  my Control Panel Item still reads "Back Up and Restore (Windows 7)". How can I change this?

I have deleted everything on the External Hard Drive I am trying to back-up to, but every time I try to back up now I get this Error code 0x800700E1. "Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software.     "

I tried to Back up several times on several stand alone drives and also on internal drive and getting the same message every time:

"Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software."

I am frustrated as I remained with no Back up  at all , while  cannot complete a back up process .

Unfortunately the suggestions by Andre Da Costa replied On July 13, 2015 didn't helped me.

Please help :

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have identical symptoms (the error code plus reference to Windows 7). I can find no means of identifying the allegedly offending file. Neither the additional information drop down in Control Panel nor the Event logs give any help. The previously offered answer/advice seems irrelevant.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, any advice much appreciated

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also experiencing same problem as Rob and the rest. Tried all afternoon to resolve the problem. Followed various advice on line, and tried to back up to external drive 4 times, but always finishing with the same error code 0x800700E1. Now very frustrated. Help!!!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It appears this could be caused by:

- actually having a virus.  Scan, and use the latest Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool (search Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - January 2016 (KB890830) - Error 0x80070643)

- misreporting, in which case turn off Windows Defender real-time protection (preferably disconnected from the internet), take your backup, then turn protection back on.

This must be a common problem and I am surprised there is no Microsoft response.  Well, disappointed.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I myself have had the same backup problems which I reported last November. Up to now, no resolution yet. I have tried ALL suggested means to correct the problem, to no avail. I am very, very disappointed there has been no official Microsoft response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Johny,

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

I would suggest you to try the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: Restart Volume shadow copy service

a) Press Windows key + R and type services.msc and press enter.
b) Search for the Volume shadow copy service and Windows back up service and check their status.
c) If they are not automatic, then right click on them and select start.

Method 2: Temporarily disable security software.

We would suggest you to temporarily disable any third party anti-virus software installed in the computer and try to backup the files.
Disclaimer : Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 3: Clean Boot

Try placing the computer in clean boot state and check if the issue persists.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.   

How to Perform a Clean Boot? (Applies to Windows 10)

Disclaimer: Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps in "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" to reset computer as usual.   

Let us know the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Method 4: Temporarily disable Windows Defender.

Disclaimer as per method 2 - just unplug yourself from the internet while it's off

It seems to be Windows Defender that is reporting a errant error

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 20, 2020 Views 5,698 Applies to: