AVG vs McAfee

The hard drive on my Toshiba Satellite Laptop went bad and corrupted Windows.  I had a local, independent technician replace it and Windows 10 OS.  He was able to save all my data and settings.  His work was reasonably priced and done in a reasonable amount of time.

The laptop had come with McAfee.  He could not re-load McAfee without my login info.  He loaded a 1 year subscription to AVG.  He strongly suggested that I keep AVG and not to re-load McAfee.  He said AVG was faster, more thorough, and cheaper.

I have two questions:

1.  Is his advice sound?

2.  I do not know this technician.  His shop got good local reviews.  How can I be certain that he has not placed some malware on my laptop (such as a keylogger)  which could compromise my passwords?

Thank You,

MC

Answer
Answer
1. Yes and no both. Mcafee has always caused problems with Windows. AVG too, with the Windows 10 servicing model where 2 feature upgrades are released in an year has become no different. We recommend everyone to use Defender as it always would be compatible with Windows 10 versions.
2. See if there is a suspicious program running in the task manager. This is the only way to identify.
Mark Yes below the post if it helped or resolved your problem

Opinions expressed are solely my own and do not represent the views or opinions of Microsoft.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 3, 2020 Views 3 Applies to: