Autocomplete Tags in Windows Explorer Incomplete?

Hi,

I'm currently reorganising several thousand photos, and use the 'tags' feature in Windows Explorer a lot. On my old laptop (Windows 8), I used the autocomplete / tag suggestions, in which previous tags are shown in a drop down list as I type - this saved a lot of time for me. However, on this computer (Windows 10) it seems to be incomplete - some tags are showing up in the drop down list, but ones I know I've used are not showing up. The missing tags include ones I entered weeks ago, with many restarts since then. The tags are still present on the files to which they were added and the files do correctly show up in search results when searching for those tags, but I still can't get the tags to show up in the suggestions. I've tried changing settings to allow the contents of the folder to be indexed, but this hasn't made a difference. I've also tried rebuilding the search index, again this didn't help. I've searched online looking for a solution, but haven't found anyone with this problem.

What should I do in order to get the autocomplete tag suggestions to refresh or update to show the missing tags? Or is there a setting I should change?

Thank you

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please note that in Windows 10, the autofill option is different from Windows 8.1. You should be able to see the suggestion in the drop down and choose it. If you are not able to see the options, please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Run the fix. You can download the tool from: Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file and folder problems

Method 2: Check the option Inline autocomplete option.

1. Open run dialog box and then type: Inetcpl.cpl

2. Then go to Advance tab and check the option use inline autocomplete for file explorer and run dialog box.

3. Click on Apply.

Method 3: Create a new user account. You can follow the steps mentioned in article: Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10.

If you need any additional assistance, please reply with the following information:

1. Is the issue specific to photos in a particular folder or drive?

2. Could you please post a screenshot of the issue so that we are able to understand it better?

Regards,

Naresh Kumar
Microsoft Community – Moderator

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 10, 2024 Views 1,454 Applies to: