audiodg.exe High memory usage

I am not a english speaker so the article may be awkward.

The memory occupied by audiodg.exe  will not be released. When a sound is played, the memory usage will increase. However, when there is no sound output, the occupied memory will not be released, but will be kept until the memory overflows (once go up to 6GB)

Until I restart the service manually, the memory usage go back to normal(about 14MB).

I consult the hotfix as below ,but the solution is invalid

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/audiodgexe-uses-extreme-amounts-of-memory-and-is/d2202857-0a63-4aa4-a278-2e97e6377bee?page=

This is true. Activating Windows spatial sound (Sonic for headphones) increases memory usage (RAM) by huge amount. Instead of using 20 MB normally (with spatial sound deactivated) it can go up to 1 GB and even more (the audidg.exe process). This happens when you start listening to any music. For example: youtube every track you open or fast forward it adds another 20 MB+ RAM usage or even more and there is literally no limit except the size of your physical RAM.  I have tested this on 2 completely different computers and they have the same problem.

I hope Microsoft can solve this because sound is really improved with spatial sound mode on. But it is unacceptable with current memory usage.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

In my case, I was playing lots of music in VLC player.

And audiodg.exe stole me 6 GiB of memory too...
After some trying, I found a workaround:

Open your Task Manager.

Then restart audio service.

Above steps will free all leaked memory of audiodg.exe.

Platform: Win 10 1909, x64

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2024 Views 7,866 Applies to: