Audio out of sync with video after editing in WMM

I have used WMM many times without much trouble; but recently I noticed that certain files after editing have audio out of sync.  Details:

1. original file is .wtv file from recorded broadcast TV channel; audio is in sync in the .wtv file.

2. after editing the file (i.e. cutting out the commercials), the audio is still in sync in the project in WMM.

3. when file is saved as either .mp4 (default), OR .wmv, the audio is out of sync, being played back in WMP.  After burning to DVD, it is still out of sync in the DVD player, so I know it is the WMM conversion process saving the file.

4. mostly has this problem only with a certain TV channel KTXHDT2 (Houston, TX); audio is in sync while watching the movie, and still in sync in the .wtv file; but after saving to either .mp4 or .wmv, audio is out of sync.  The last 5 movies I saved on this channel has this problem, but none recently from other channels have this problem.

5. I have all the latest, with recent updates - Windows 8.1, WMM 2012 v. 16.4.3505.0912.

6. I am saving the file in "recommended for this project" with 16x9 size, and it says pixels are 854x480.

I have seen this problem of out-of-sync audio in the past, but was an intermittent issue, and I didn't have enough data to determine where the problem was.  Since every movie now saved from that one channel appears to have this problem, I was able to see that every time it was saved for each movie the audio got out of sync.  I thought it might be corrupted file, but recording the same movie at a different time yields the same results, and now every movie from that channel has the issue.  It appears to me like a codec issue, but I don't know which codec to isolate, since I don't know which codecs are being used in the wtv file; however, it also could be something else.  I tried the "fixit" tool, but it doesn't work with 8.1.

I also discovered that if I just save the movie with NO edits (just a conversion from wtv to mp4) still gets audio out of sync.  The problem is definitely in WMM.  More evidence: saved the file in 1920x1080 video, same problem.

I am afraid to install k-lite codecs, since this would be an experiment, and might mess up other good codecs; I don't really want to try this unless someone tells me it will likely solve the issue.

If anyone can help me solve this problem, I would appreciate it.

Hi ftrader1,

Welcome to Windows Movie Maker forum. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your audio when editing and saving your movie in Movie Maker. Let's see what we can do. Upon reviewing the information that you've provided, there are reasons why you encountered the issue. We would like you to check the following:

Movie Maker version is out of date

Ensure that you have the latest the version of your Windows Movie Maker (Build: 16.4.3528.0331)

Unsupported file types

Check that the file types you are using are supported. Microsoft Recorded TV Show video files (.wtv) is not available in Windows 8.1. For more information, please refer to this link. Please try convert your .wtv file first to .wmv before editing it in Movie Maker.

Codecs

Media info will be able to identify any issues with missing or faulty codecs and whether it’s already installed in your computer or not. Get here.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thanks,

Helene C.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi ftrader1,

Welcome to Windows Movie Maker forum. Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your audio when editing and saving your movie in Movie Maker. Let's see what we can do. Upon reviewing the information that you've provided, there are reasons why you encountered the issue. We would like you to check the following:

Movie Maker version is out of date

Ensure that you have the latest the version of your Windows Movie Maker (Build: 16.4.3528.0331)

Unsupported file types

Check that the file types you are using are supported. Microsoft Recorded TV Show video files (.wtv) is not available in Windows 8.1. For more information, please refer to this link. Please try convert your .wtv file first to .wmv before editing it in Movie Maker.

Codecs

Media info will be able to identify any issues with missing or faulty codecs and whether it’s already installed in your computer or not. Get here.

Let us know how things turn out.

Thanks,

Helene C.

Movie Maker version is out of date:

I have Windows auto updates turned on, how come I don't have the latest version??

Can you please tell me how to update it?  The link you gave shows an installation.  I don't want to mess it up by installing another version of what I already have.  Does the install update what I have cleanly?  Do I have to uninstall first?  Can you clarify?

Unsupported file types:

The link you gave me shows that wtv is a supported file type.  WMP plays it, and WMC generates it.  How can it be unsupported?? "Microsoft Recorded TV Show files   .dvr-ms and .wtv"

Codecs:

I ran the mediainfo program you suggested, and it didn't yield anything wrong as far as I can tell.  I attached a text of the output.

Thanks,

ftrader1

Attachment:

General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Christine_KTXHDT2_2014_05_28_14_23_00.wtv
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 2.44 GiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Video
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Maximum bit rate                         : 8 000 Kbps
Width                                    : 704 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Active Format Description                : Full frame 16:9 image
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy

Text #1
ID                                       : CC1
Format                                   : EIA-608
Muxing mode                              : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
ID                                       : CC3
Format                                   : EIA-608
Muxing mode                              : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello ftrader1,

Thank you for coming back. I will be answering your questions regarding the steps that has been provided to you earlier.

"I have Windows auto updates turned on, how come I don't have the latest version"

Thank you for that information. Just to be certain, you can check the version of your Movie Maker by opening the program and click Alt+F then U on your keyboard.

"The link you gave me shows that wtv is a supported file type."

Yes, it does say that .wtv (.mpeg2) is a supported file. But, based on the notes:

"Support for using MPEG‑2 and Microsoft Recorded TV Show video files in your movie is available only if your computer is running one of the following editions of Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Vista Home Premium, or Windows Vista Ultimate"

We would like to set your expectations that these products installed in the operating system can have certain compatibility issues. System requirements for the 2012 products can be found here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-essentials-2012-system-requirements

Unfortunately, there is no word yet as to whether the products' system requirements has been updated to support Windows 8.1. As with typical software functionality, there are cases wherein the product would work upon installation. However, when problems start to manifest due to system requirement issues then there is no assurance that the problem can be fixed. The only way that this can be addressed is to either have an update to the product be released to address the concern or a new entire version of Windows Essentials (2014 or higher perhaps) be made available.

In case you have other inquiries regarding Movie Maker, please let us know. We'll be here to support you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My suggestion would be to convert the .wtv file to .wmv or .mp4 format before trying to edit in Movie Maker.  If the converted file has synched audio, I think you'll find that Movie Maker is then able to keep it synched after editing.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello ftrader1,

Thank you for coming back. I will be answering your questions regarding the steps that has been provided to you earlier.

"I have Windows auto updates turned on, how come I don't have the latest version"

Thank you for that information. Just to be certain, you can check the version of your Movie Maker by opening the program and click Alt+F then U on your keyboard.

"The link you gave me shows that wtv is a supported file type."

Yes, it does say that .wtv (.mpeg2) is a supported file. But, based on the notes:

"Support for using MPEG‑2 and Microsoft Recorded TV Show video files in your movie is available only if your computer is running one of the following editions of Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Vista Home Premium, or Windows Vista Ultimate"

We would like to set your expectations that these products installed in the operating system can have certain compatibility issues. System requirements for the 2012 products can be found here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-essentials-2012-system-requirements

Unfortunately, there is no word yet as to whether the products' system requirements has been updated to support Windows 8.1. As with typical software functionality, there are cases wherein the product would work upon installation. However, when problems start to manifest due to system requirement issues then there is no assurance that the problem can be fixed. The only way that this can be addressed is to either have an update to the product be released to address the concern or a new entire version of Windows Essentials (2014 or higher perhaps) be made available.

In case you have other inquiries regarding Movie Maker, please let us know. We'll be here to support you.

Thank you.

Thanks for your answer, however it doesn't answer my question.  I already said what version I have.  I'm wondering why auto update doesn't update this application to the latest, I seem to have to do that manually, and I have no way of knowing that a later version is available.  That's a minor problem, but my main question is:  how do I update it?  It is not clear how to update it.  Most applications have an "update" option, although many say you have to uninstall the previous version before installing the updated version.  I don't want to experiment with bad installs.  I need to know how to update to the latest version without crashes and other interruptions.  Can someone please answer this question so that I can avoid problems installing the new version?  I am willing to try that in case it fixes the problem without me having to do file conversions.

I found out more info about these bad file conversions (ie WMM converting from wtv to wmv).  I have been using MediaInfo.exe (the tool I was told to use above) to get technical data about the files, and found out something interesting.  All the files that have the problem show "maximum bit rate" as 8Mb (or 8000 kb).  All the files that don't have the problem show the rate as either 4Mb or 15Mb.  So it appears so far that WMM has a problem converting video files with a max bit rate of 8Mb.

Now what you're telling me above doesn't look good for WMC, since this program automatically stores recorded files as .wtv.  I got this new computer in Jan of this year, and it had Win 8 on it, and I wanted WMC in order to record TV programs, and was required to update to 8.1 (at a cost of $99) in order to get it.  Now you are telling me that .wtv format is not supported, this could make a lot of customers very angry or at a minimum frustrated that a required costly update to the very reason why they are updating is not supported.  So then my next question is, can you show me a way to change how WMC saves recorded TV programs to a different format than wtv, since I don't readily see how to do that??

Last year I had a computer with Win 7, and started using WMC version 2012, and had lots of problems.  I was well-advised to go back to version 2011 which I did, and the major problems were solved.  I really hope you're not going to tell me that version 2011 is what I need here to solve the issue, since I think that would be a ludicrous workaround for this issue.

Answers to the 2 questions above would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ftrader1

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My suggestion would be to convert the .wtv file to .wmv or .mp4 format before trying to edit in Movie Maker.  If the converted file has synched audio, I think you'll find that Movie Maker is then able to keep it synched after editing.

I spent an hour searching for any freeware that converted wtv format, but none of them supports it.  Do you have any specific suggestions?

Thanks,

ftrader1

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi ftrader1,

We appreciate your cooperation. To answer your questions, I'll enumerate them below:

1. how do I update it?  It is not clear how to update it.  Most applications have an "update" option, although many say you have to uninstall the previous version before installing the updated version. 

Windows Update contains software tools that detect information about your computer, such as the make and model and the version of Windows and other Microsoft software that your computer is running. It is possible that Windows Updates didn't detect the version of your Windows Movie Maker. From the information that you've provided, you are using WMM 2012 v. 16.4.3505.0912. We recommend that you manually install it since we've provided that the latest build version is 16.4.3528.0331. What you can do is click the link that I've provided previously to install the latest version without uninstalling the older version. In case you receive an error, then uninstall the older version and then update your program. Also, if you have questions about Windows Updates, you can contact their support forum for assistance.

2. I wanted WMC in order to record TV programs, and was required to update to 8.1 (at a cost of $99) in order to get it.  Now you are telling me that .wtv format is not supported, this could make a lot of customers very angry or at a minimum frustrated that a required costly update to the very reason why they are updating is not supported.  So then my next question is, can you show me a way to change how WMC saves recorded TV programs to a different format than wtv, since I don't readily see how to do that??

Our apologies for the inconvenience. We understand that .wtv is included in Movie Maker supported file types. However, .wtv file type is available only if your computer is running one of the following editions of Windows: Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Vista Home Premium, or Windows Vista Ultimate like my colleague said and based on the Notes in the said article. For your question, how to change WMC format when saving a recorded TV, you can contact their support (Click Get Help link) for assistance and they might have a recommendation for an alternative steps.

In addition, there is no word yet as to whether the products' system requirements has been updated to support Windows 8.1. Again, like my colleague said, the only way that this can be addressed is to either have an update to the product be released to address the concern or a new entire version of Windows Essentials (2014 or higher perhaps) be made available.

Let us know if you have further questions and we're here to help.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After all the updates and doing everything suggested, there appears to be no solution for WMM.  I feel fortunate that I was able to figure out how to do the same function in PowerDirector, since no one suggested this to me.  The person who suggested I convert the wtv file never answered back as to which app was able to do this.  Once again, this forum wasn't much help for my issue.  But no doubt someone reading this will think me an idiot for not using PowerDirector to begin with.

Regards,

ftrader1

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2022 Views 2,436 Applies to: