Audio jack no longer working, likely since a recent update

The internal speakers are working and bluetooth headphones work, but wired headphones plugged into the audio jack stopped working about a week ago. The laptop doesn't recognize anything when they are plugged in or unplugged.

I have run the audio troubleshooter, but this seems to only troubleshoot problems with the internal speakers or sound card

I have uninstalled the Realtek driver and reinstalled it

I have tried to update the Realtek driver, but it always says the best driver is already installed

I have rolled back my computer to the last restore point 

Windows Update seems stuck on the update "2021-04 Cumulative Update... (KB5001391)" pending restart, but no matter how many times I restart this update doesn't resolve itself. 

This same issue happened about a year ago and I managed to find a solution but I haven't been as lucky this time around

I'd really appreciate any advice

Windows 10

Dell XPS13 9360

|

So after more internet sleuthing, I found the solution:

The problem was that the app Waves MaxxAudio wasn't launching on start which I guess prevented the recognition of the headphones once plugged in. 

I followed the instructions here and it fixed my problem: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ca/000132553/waves-maxxaudio-setting-on-dell-notebooks-can-stop-the-wired-microphone-from-working?lang=en

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello, I am Claudeir, I am a user and an independent consultant, it is very important to me that all your questions are answered and that you have a positive experience.
-I was passing instructions to you, but I just saw that you reported having solved the problem, I'm glad you solved it, please mark your question as answered to help other users, bye friend.

Sincerely,

Claudeir
Claudeir

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 6, 2021 Views 13 Applies to: