Audio dropouts during music production after W10 updates 2017

Hi,

I'm consistently getting audio dropouts during recording/playback on Cubase, and I think the problem is due to W10 updates rolled out earlier this year. I think the issue began around March and I ignored/worked around it, but I now need to fix it properly, and after a month of trying a few things I'm inclined to believe it's some kind of compatibility issue, though can't be sure.

The dropouts happen at random intervals (between a few seconds and 20 minutes), but when they do it cuts my recording track.

Have tried demo of latest version of Cubase and still got the problem, and have tried my external soundcard audio interface on an older pc with windows 7 and works fine. Have tried updating main drivers (graphics, soundcard, chipset) and no luck, and have maximised performance settings wherever possible which doesn't seem to have helped.  

I had W10 running last summer with the exact same setup and everything worked fine, and the only thing I can think that's changed is W10 updates being rolled out, but what's been affected I'm not sure. Could be some random driver compatibility, CPU throttling, background service, some non-essential W10 app interfering with processing, I don't know, and my computer knowledge is a bit limited.

Any advice or suggestions with this much appreciated, especially regarding post-W10 early 2017 updates issues.

Thanks! 

|

Hi,

This issue may occur due to incompatible audio driver or changed audio driver settings. To isolate your concern, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• What is the make and model of your device?
  • What Windows version and build are you using. Type winver on the search bar, then hit Enter to find out.

Meanwhile, since you already updated the drivers and adjusted the performance settings, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Sound troubleshooter. Kindly follow the instructions below:

1. In the Start menu/Cortana, type Troubleshooting.
  2. Click View all on the left pane of the Troubleshooting window.
  3. Click Playing Audio.
  4. Follow the prompt and let the troubleshooting get finished.

Kindly update this thread with the result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi thanks for replying,

- The audio interface/external sound card I'm using is a TASCAM US-1641 (product has been discontinued but manufacturer's released a W10 pre-creators update driver for it in May this year which is currently installed)

- Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413)

I've run the hardware and sound troubleshooter and the only thing that comes up which I'm not sure about is a warning detected: 'Generic Audio Driver'. I'm not sure why it would say this as I'm using the Tascam as the main audio device (and have disabled onboard devices AMD HD audio device and Realtek HD audio).

Any ideas much appreciated!

Thanks

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let's try to uninstall and reinstall the sound driver and check if it would make any difference.  Open Device Manager, right-click (or tap and hold) the name of the device, and select Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

If the issue persists, we recommend we check for corrupted Windows system file. System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Windows that scans for corrupted Windows system files. If it finds a problem, it will try to replace the problematic system files from a cached version that’s on your PC. You may refer to this link for more information.

If SFC can’t replace the files, the Deployment Image Service and Management Tool (DISM) can check the corrupted files then download and replace the files through Windows Update. Please follow the steps below to run the DISM tool:  

1. Press Windows key + X and select the Command Prompt (Admin) 

2. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, enter the following commands (Press the Enter key after each command):  

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth   

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth  

1. To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and press Enter 

2. Restart the machine.

Kindly update this thread with the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

During earlier troubleshooting efforts I uninstalled the external soundcard/drivers and reinstalled them again, though this didn't solve the problem unfortunately. Things I've also tried regarding audio drivers that haven't worked - 

- Tried different version dates of drivers for soundcard

- Ensured onboard AMD audio drivers are up to date

- Tried rolling back AMD drivers

- Disabled AMD audio and Realtek audio in device manager

I've run System File Checker as per the guide, and the result I got was 'Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations'

Any ideas on how to proceed with the issue from here?

Many thanks

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Does anyone have any further advice regarding this problem?

Many thanks

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We appreciate your effort by performing the troubleshooting steps provided in this thread. To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest that you check this link. This page contains instructions on how to fix sound problems. If the issue persists, you may also try to create a new user profile to check if the reoccurs.

To create a user profile, follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings, then click Accounts.
  2. Select Family & other people.
  3. Select the Add someone else to this PC tab.
  4. Name the user as Test.
  5. Leave the password field blank.
  6. Hit Next
  7. Sign in as Test user.

Keep us updated with the result. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi thanks for replying,

I've tried everything in the troubleshooting link and signed in as a test user, but I still get the same problem unfortunately. What would you recommend that I try next?

Many thanks 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Microsoft,

Regarding this issue - I've repaired an old PC that uses windows 7, and I haven't experienced the audio dropouts issue at all, and I've spoken to a local recording engineer who had the same issue with windows 10 and rolled back to 7 for this reason.

I'm considering rolling back to windows 7 on my main PC now, but I'm wondering if this is a current issue that Microsoft is looking into and whether it will be addressed in a windows 10 update any time in the near future? And if not, will it be possible for me to re-upgrade to windows 10 for free again in the future if I go back to windows 7 until new updates are released addressing this issue?

I'd like to stay with windows 10, but this problem has made it impossible for me to work with my audio software reliably and I think that windows 7 may be the only option for me if this isn't addressed fairly soon.

Many thanks,

Tom 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I still haven't received a reply to the last question posted, so does this mean that Microsoft doesn't have an answer to this problem and that windows 10 is generally not suitable for audio production software? 

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 30, 2021 Views 2,229 Applies to: