AtwtusbIcon not allowing shut down - Fixed! -

Since the last update my computer refuses to shut down without having to hit 'Shut Down Anyways', because of this AtwtusbIcon, my Daughter has a drawing tablet but it's unplugged before the computer is shut down. I found the Application in System32 but I don't know if I can get rid of it or what, because after investigating I've found that it has something to do with the drawing tablet, I don't know if it'll do anything to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

FIX: I was able to fix this error by going doing this: Go to This PC > in search bar enter atwtusb (It may take a while) (it will be in C:\Windows\System32 if you want to go to the folder instead and find it that way > right click on atwtusb and go to properties > Go to the Compatibility tab > Check 'Run this program as an administrator' > Hit Apply then Okay.

Do the same thing to Atwtusbicon.  NOTE: DO NOT HIT THE 'Run as Administrator' when you first right click on the programs, as this is was not what I hit and I don't know if it will have the same results, better safe then sorry! 

After doing this I haven't had a SINGLE problem with this program hanging up!

I hope this helps! :)

<Moved from:      Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures>

Hello,

AtwtusbIcon.exe is an important component and part of process of Windows. If you disable it, the operating system may not boot next time. To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution for your concern with this process, kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you experiencing this error message even if the drawing tablet is plugged in?
  • Does the error message always appear every time you shutdown your computer?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, since you mentioned that you recently update your computer, we suggest that you perform a clean boot. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows 10. We also recommend that you check this article: Tips to improve PC performance in Windows 10 to see what are the other workarounds that you can do to improve your computer’s performance.

Kindly get back to us for further assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Even with the drawing tablet plugged in the error is still happening. It was appearing every time I shut down, but my daughter found the location of AtwtusbIcon and set that and the regular Atwtusb to 'Run as Administrator' and it seems to not be having the issue but the last time I tried to shut my computer down it seemed to hang up. The screen shut itself down but nothing else did, the computer seemed to be still running but wasn't shutting down, I ended up needing to hold down the power button to get it to shut off fully, since then I haven't shut down the computer so I'm not sure if it's a one time thing or not. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

A computer can shutdown based on the instructions given to its power settings. One example is if you are using a laptop, there’s an option that when you are just closing a lid, it can shutdown your computer. To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution to your concern, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• Which version or build of Windows device are you using? To know, press Windows + R to open the Run window. Type winver and press Enter. A new window will open showing the version and build number of your Windows device.
  • What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experience this issue?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
  • What activity are you performing that can trigger to shutdown your computer?
  • Can you provide us a screenshot of your power settings?
  • What is the exact brand and model of the device you are using?

In addition, you can run a built-in utility called System File Checker tool that helps users to perform scanning, repairing, and restoring of missing or corrupted files of a computer. You can visit this link: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files to know how to run this tool.

We’re looking forward to your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

AtwtusbIcon.exe is the taskbar icon program for Trust graphics tablets.

It shows the settings in the notification area of the taskbar.

It's used to set the pressure of the pen, the way the workspace interacts with your montior(s) and functions such as the virtual buttons around the workspace used as "F" keys.

If you use a Trust tablet, and especially if using more than 1 monitor, it is quite important.

This problem became so annoying I disabled it at startup.

When I need to use the tablet I enable it and reboot, then turn it off after use and reboot.

Every now and again I forget to turn it off and my PC stays on for hours then blue screens.

It seems strange that all these monitor/screen/broken progs started after the fall creators update.

What the hell did they break this time?

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to fix the problem by finding atwtusb in the computer and setting both that and atwutusbicon to 'Run as Administrator', since then I haven't had a since issue with it, I'd highly suggest trying the same thing, it might make is so that you don't need to keep enabling/disabling it?

I know, ever since they did the fall creators update nothing seems to want to work properly, really wish they'd make it so you could completely stop them from updating your system... I've had to do quite a few system restores to fix what they've forced through on us...

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to fix the problem by turning both atwtusb and atwtusbicon to 'Run as an administrator' in the compatibility tab of the properties menu. Since I did that I haven't had a single problem with it hanging up! :)

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have trust issues lol :¬)

(That first bit's not really a reply to my post, as my post is simply saying "Yes it is important, if you want the tablet to work OK on more than one monitor")

I am certainly not going to make a program an administrator until I fully understand what it is it wants to do, and why it cannot do it. Much easier for me to just carry on using my workaround as I only use the tablet once or twice a month.

The big problem with the updates is twofold.

Firstly they are billed as "updates". They are not, as some create a "win.old" and have therefore upgraded rather than updated. I had to delete new "documents", "pictures" and other dirs that were mistakenly created after the fall creators update. I am pretty sure that is part of the issue, as the files and dirs may still be logically owned by the previous iteration of windows.

Secondly, there is no real way for us to force them to fix things. It was free. We have no power.

I guess we are stuck with it, or changing to another Linus based OS like a penguin ;¬)

Sorry this didn't help.

Well with the Run as Admin, it just means that your making it work for you, it's not making you use it, it's just forcing it to do what you want it too. Since I did it there hasn't been any error and my Norton hasn't said that there's a virus or anything. My tablet has been actually working better then it did before and the error is gone completely. I mean you can try to run as admin for a while and you can always shut it off?

You say it's free buuuut, a lot of people had to pay to get Windows 8.1 installed, we only got it free because we had Windows 7 and they offered it as a free upgrade for a limited time, if you held off on it a lot of people had to pay after the free period ran out. But your right though, we don't have any control on what they do, but they should let us exclude some things like programs that we never use or things that break our computers. There's a lot of stuff that they push through that they're just testing out, it'd be nice if we could opt-out on things instead of having to do system restores because the add-on they packed into the update made my computer unusable... I've had to do a system restore because they did an update that made it so that there wasn't any options to turn on the internet and no network. I had to hold off that update for over a month before they patched it....

I just wish they'd test updates a little more....

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, as it happens they do test the updates thoroughly. And they don't download experimental programs to your device unless you're a Windows Insider which I see you are not.

Using Norton Antivirus isn't the best idea but that was your choice. The wrong A/V can play hob with your Updates.

When there are programs you don't use of course you can remove them. In your Apps menu right-click select uninstall works well.

Also you can remove unwanted programs via the Control Panel.

This will be the section you want:

Hope this helps you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You seem to have a misconception of what "Run as an Administrator" means.

You are not "making a Program the Administrator" you are telling the program on your authority AS the Administrator to make the necessary changes to your computer.

Examples are "System Configuration"  "PowerShell" and "Command Prompt."

Secondly, there is no reason to delete new folders or directories. Unless you use them they will just sit there empty taking up zero space. They cause no harm whatsoever.

And you can still save pictures etc to any folder you choose. Open them with any app you choose. None of that has changed.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 29, 2020 Views 11,865 Applies to: