ATI Control Panel failed to initialize - ?

I have Windows XP SP 3. History:  1) recently modified my computer's  hardware acceleration  settings to correct frequent 'script error ' warnings  that occurred while browsing with  FIREFOX   2)  I also modified FIREFOX's  hardware acceleration and set its add-ons to ASK ME ALWAYS.  3 )  I  recently reinstalled FIREFOX latest version ( ie as of July 2, 2014 ) as my default browser..  4)  and enabled script debugging.  After doing all these things , they corrected ( hopefully permanently )  the 'script error' warnings but now -for the 1st time ever - after a complete start up of my computer I keep getting  a "WARNING " dialog  box on my desktop with the following :  " The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize because no ATI driver is installed  or ATI driver is not working properly. The ATI Control Panel will now exit. " .  I am a computer layperson but know how to follow instructions well.  Don't know if this pop up  has anything to do with my install and fixes ( which, by the way , I got from this forum ).   Need details on how I  can fix this, any help would be greatly appreciated !

Question Info

Last updated December 26, 2017 Views 656 Applies to:

Hi,

Check this thread for solution:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/ati-control-panel-failed/da94c23e-cd72-437a-aca5-be3c5b3aa697

Download the ATI driver file and save it to your desktop

Go to Start>run... type in devmgmt.msc , click OK
In the Device Manger window, click on the plus sign of Display adapters

1) used the Update Driver button in the Driver tab and then specified C:\Drivers\video_driver\Driver\XP_INF as the location to look for the drivers

These are the original drivers

Or,

2) Right click on the ATI list item, and select Uninstall (there may be two ATI entries... uninstall them both)
Restart your computer

Windows will start up using the generic display driver and if you get a new hardware detected message, just cancel/close the window
Try to reinstall the ATI driver again

Pat P.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I think it is usually best to disable script debugging since if you are getting messages about script errors, the errors are going to be on the web site you are visiting and not something that you can fix on your system.

If you are getting script errors on a site, you could be a nice guy and send the webmaster of that site a message with details and maybe they will look into it, but there is not going to be anything you can do about it since the problem is going to be with the webpage itself.

If you have script debugging enabled and there is a problem with a script on a page, you will be offered an opportunity to debug the code on every WWW page that has some scripting problem and you probably don't want to see all that (unless you are the author of the web page).

ATI drivers are about the video subsystem in your system of unspecified make and model.  Array Technologies Industry (ATI) was acquired by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) in 1993 but there are still plenty of ATI devices around.

If you are having problems with your video drivers, you should visit the AMD site and go through their configuration screen or download their AMD Driver Autodetect Tool and let it take a look at your system and if it suggests a driver update, consider installing it. 

You can get that here:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

it is generally NOT a good idea to accept/ install any hardware drivers (video, audio, network) offered by Microsoft updates.  Microsoft doesn't know what the best drivers are for your system.  If MS Update ever offers you driver updates, I would decline them and tell MS update to never offer you those updates again so you don't accidentally install the wrong drivers.

You should always get hardware drivers from the hardware manufacturers WWW site. 

If you can't figure it out, get no satisfaction or are not sure what you need, do this:

Tell us your system make and model.

Tell us your XP version and Service Pack.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select All (Ctrl-A), Copy (Ctrl-C) and then paste (Ctrl-V) the information back here in your next reply.

For video driver information, expand the Components, click Display, click Edit, Select All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just delete it from the pasted information.

Sorry this didn't help.

Those settings are not wanted,nor are they "default" performance

set by windows OS.If you have IE as default,go to internet options,advanced

tab,go to "restore to advanced settings" box,xp turns script error warnings

off,as it does "other"..Also,set to setting any software to auto chk,why,its just

another service that runs always,useing resources...

As for ATI,did you disable default video adapter 1st,or uninstall it.Also,download

ati to desktop,dont run it in IE or firefox..Also,is BIOS set for add-on adapter.

Sorry this didn't help.