ASUS touchpad on/off not working after win 10 update

Hello

I have an ASUS ROG GL752VW (Intel i7-6700HQ with 64bit Win10) laptop.

Up until about a week ago everything as working fine, then one morning when I came down the machine had updated/restarted itself and since then I'v been having issues with my touchpad.

Before the update there was an option to have the touchpad automatically turn itself off if an external mouse was connected - and the option worked perfectly. Now the option is no longer available at all, and of course does not work.

Before the update I could manually switch the touchpad on/off using fn-button + F9, that doesn't work anymore either.

I have tried updating driver for touchpad - to no avail.

I have looked for solutions online, but almost every similar question I can find is in regard to older computers being updated to Win 10 and therefore the solutions suggested are pertaining to older versions of Win 10.

Anybody had the same issue, or any ideas of what I can do to remedy this?

Bob

PS

Yes, I know I can disable/enable the touchpad via device manager, but it switches itself on again with every restart, not to mention what a cumbersome solution that is once you've gotten used to the fn-quick switch....

DS

Answer
Answer

Isn't this typical... I try to fix it for a week, but five minutes after posting the question here I find the answer...

It seems ASUS Smart Gesture is altered/removed by one of the later Windows 10 updates.

OK, if you have an ASUS computer and this happens here's what you do (thank you BillD116 for the solution):

-Go to Settings

-Control panel

-Uninstall/Change program

-ASUS Smart Gesture

-Repair.

-Restart Computer

THEN

-Start (bottom left)

-Control Panel (type it in the search box)

-ASUS Smart Gesture

-Mouse Detection

-Disable touchpad when mouse is plugged in.

If you don't have ASUS Smart Gesture in your program list at all, you can google it and download it, and then go through the steps above. I even had to do a restart before I was able to install as the installer said another install was ongoing... weird... 

But now the auto-switch off function works again, and the fn+F9 button quick switch as well.

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2023 Views 5,065 Applies to: