Asus Laptop Freezes Completely after a while when charger is plugged in

Hello. I am facing a problem with Asus X541NA laptop Windows 10. 

I don't know whether it is ASUS or Windows 10 but, as soon as I plug the charger in after a while the laptop will freeze completely and I am not able to do anything apart from making a force shutdown from the power button. 

This happens mostly when I watch videos on youtube. The screen freezes completely and I can hear the fans working louder than they are used to and then there's nothing I can do. Sometimes it reboots on its own.

I've tried everything I found in the internet. I tried sfc, dism but nothing was found, computer clean.

I restored the computer, it worked fine for 2 days but today it started freezing up again. Even if I try a Clean Boot there is nothing harming the computer, the only app I have installed is Google Chrome (I have it a long time now and never caused any problem) and Driver Booster 6. I don't even know if a driver update caused this. I updated all the drivers as soon as I restored the computer so I think maybe the problem is there. The antivirus I have is McAfee, the one that comes with the laptop. I am so tired of fixing problems all the time with this pc. And I still didn't get the new version of Windows 1809.

Can anyone help? 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Maria!

Sounds like you've got yourself an unusual error. To me it sounds like a power save problem. In my experience it¨s normally related to your wireless card.

I would try to go to Control Panel - System - Power Options - Power plans - Change settings (or advanced settings)

You will get a pop up window with a "tree"

Go down to your wireless card and expand

I'm not sure if the american version says off or max perfermance

but thats what you want e.g you will stop your wireless card from being able to save energy.

I hope this solves your problem

Sincerely

Loke Aashamar

Dersom svaret hjalp deg, vennligst klikk Ja" på "Løste dette problemet ditt", slik at saken blir arkivert som løst". Slik kan du også hjelpe andre som opplever samme problemstilling.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello! Thanks for answering. I tried that but worked only for 1 day. Same thing happens today and I really don't understand what's the problem. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This mother board is very buggy! Shame on ASUS for not recalling this computer! I bought this computer and replaced the mother board with a used one from another computer with a new processor.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Maria!

Since it for some unknown reason worked for a day, did you check the settings again?

If no, could you please do that just to check they haven't reset themselves?

Sincerely 

Loke

Dersom svaret hjalp deg, vennligst klikk Ja" på "Løste dette problemet ditt", slik at saken blir arkivert som løst". Slik kan du også hjelpe andre som opplever samme problemstilling.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello again Maria!

Is it working for you now or did the same thing happen again that it worked for a day and then the old settings were back? If it is working you don't have to read the rest :-)

When you say a day, is it correct to assume that your computer hasn't been restarted or switched completely off during that period of time?

If you answered yes to that question, please try to change the power settings again, exactly the same way as you've done the previous 2 times. Restart the computer, and see if the same will happen again.

If it's still not working, please look at the picture below, it's in Norwegian, but look at the button with a read circle. I think it should be "Apply" in the US version. When you have changed the power settings have you clicked "Apply" and then "OK"? If you've skipped "Apply" and gone directly for "OK" it's totally understandable, but the settings won't have been saved. 

If that's the case, please go through the Power Supply settings one more time and it should do the trick.

I have found a couple of other suggestions to what might be wrong, so if your system still wont work please let me know and we'll try the next possible solution.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely

Loke

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello!!

Thank you for your answers. I did exactly what you told me but the PC kept crashing. I searched the internet for solutions and tried everything but nothing was solved. I downloaded "WhoCrashed" app to see what was the error, and it seems to be a hardware problem. Since the problem kept for days, and I still have warranty, I took it back to the store I bought the pc to fix it. I will tell you what the problem was as soon as I get it back.

I am really disappointed by this pc. It was buggy since day 1. (A year now). I fixed one thing after the other, I almost became a computer technician. Next time I will buy a pc I will make a very good research on the internet. 

Thanks for your help anyways!!! :)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I used to have the same issue. I uninstalled ASUS battery health charging app. Now it works without issue.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I used to have the same issue. I uninstalled ASUS battery health charging app. Now it works without issue.
When I am on battery and attempt to close the lid it immediately shuts down as soon as I have a firm grip on the lid. I have always had problems with this laptop. The Best Buy sales rep vehemently warned me not to purchase this laptop. I kick my-self for having too little confidence in the sales rep and too much confidence in Asus computer builds.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe I misread, did you install or uninstall the health battery app? My X541N didn't come with it. I've been having the same problem for about a month now, I noticed when it's plugged in and I stop working on it for  a few minutes it freezes but if I unplug it, no problem. Posts I've seen, mention it could be a hardware problem but I bought it in June and it had no problems.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Maria.I'm facing the exact same problem with my ASUS X751NA. From what I discovered searching and experimenting is that iit is definitely hardware issue. My guess, motherboard. I'm very close to return it and get a new one. It's still under waranty.Let us know if you find anything.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 21,963 Applies to: