ASCII codes in Character Map

Hello,

I am looking for a way to show the ASCII codes of all characters that have one in the Character Map in Windows 10 Pro (as used to be the case in older versions), in such a way that when I wish to insert a special character in another application I can easily check what code to type (e.g. Alt+0200 for "È").

It is fine to have the Unicode code as shown by default, but I would like to also visualise the ASCII (for those characters that have one), as the Unicode cannot be used so easily to actually insert a character without having to copy and paste it or to memorise the ASCII code.

Many thanks in advance.

To clarify your query a mock-up of the desired result might help potential respondents.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I think in older versions of Character Map there was an indication of the ASCII code of each character in the lower right corner (where I've placed the red circle), in addition to the Unicode one in the lower left one, which appears now. Does anybody know how to add it? If this were visible, I could rapidly consult the ASCII code of a desired character and then use the ALT+<numeric code> command to insert it when desired.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I do not know if there used to be an ASCII code in that corner. But why not use the Unicode number in the bottom left-hand corner? It covers the whole range of characters when you do it like this:

1. Hold the Alt key
  2. Tap + on the numeric keypad
  3. Tap any hex combination, e.g. C9
  4. Release the Alt key

Edit: For reasons unrelated to your query I had to restore the end-of-year version of Windows. Big surprise: The ASCII code was back in the corner you mentioned. It seems the boys at Microsoft were careless when tinkering with an automatic update.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the advice!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 1,320 Applies to: