Appwiz.cpl will not run

The installed programs window opens, but immediately closes.  Other cpl files execute normally.

I ran sfc /scannow which indicates the appwiz.cpl file cannot be recovered.  I've tried going back to a previous restore point, but that did not clear the problem.  Older restore points fail to restore.  After this problem occured, the system automatically detected a disk error during a reboot and ran checkdisk to completion.  I've tried copying this file from another system without success.

Any suggestions?
Hello POPTOPP,

Since you are still having problems after a SFC scan and being able to repair or replace the corrupted file, then you can try a In-Place Upgrade which will do a repair of the operating system. You will need to have the DVD installation disc from the PC manufacturer. BACK UP all of your data you want to save just in case something goes wrong!

Note: After performing In-Place Upgrade, your personal data and installed programs will not be removed but you may need to run Windows Update to install all the available updates for your system to update these system files to the current version. This troubleshooting process is time consuming and may take several hours to complete.

If your DVD installation disk is prior to Sp1, and you have SP1 installed on your computer, you will need to uninstall SP1 to complete the in-place upgrade and then reinstall the necessary windows updates. This applies if you have SP2 also.

If you would like to perform the In-place Upgrade, let’s refer to the following steps.

1. Start the computer by using the current Operating System.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install Now screen appears. Click Install Now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install Now.

4. When you reach the "Which type of installation do you want?" screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

OR you can try a startup repair:

If you have a Windows Vista distribution DVD, you can get to the Windows Recovery Environment and from here you can do fix your computer by selecting “startup repair” option!

1.    Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2.    Press a key when you are prompted.

3.    Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and  then click Next.

4.    Click Repair your computer.

5.    Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

6.    In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

7.    Restart the computer when it’s done.

Please run Windows Update again as you will need to download and install the most current updates. Hope this helps you. Let us know either way. Make it a great day!

"And In The End The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make" (The Beatles last song from thier last album, Abbey Road.)
"In the End The Love You Take, Is Equal To The Love You Make"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the tip. 

Unfortunatly, I'm having trouble getting SP2 and SP1 off my system.  Without appwiz.cpl I can't using the standard uninstall routine.  I tried the command prompt method described in kb948537, but that wasn't successful.  (I guess at some point I ran disk clean up and the needed temporary installation files are now gone.)  It seems that the upgrade doesn't recognize SP2 as a valid OS to upgrade.  Any way to force an upgrade with SP2 installed?  Know how to force the removal of SP2 and SP1?

/Jeff
Jeff

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same problem, appwiz.cpl won't launch even directly from c:/windows/system32/

I believe it is the malicious work of start.sweetpacks.com and all the adware, junkware it loads.

I happen to be building a bootable disc image, so had a spare appwiz in UBCD4win folders,

and could launch that backup appwiz just fine - removed sweetpacks and other unwanted software, but when I delete the bad appwiz, and pasted in the good, a replacement bad appwiz had regenerated...so a a quick fix, I installed a copy off runable appwiz with sortcut on desktop.

sweetpacks or whoever the villain is is clever, making the doctored .cpl the same size as the runable, with a slightly old file date.

Anyway, I'd likee to get rid of the self-spawning bad appwiz.cpl

regards,

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 27, 2020 Views 10,522 Applies to: