Application windows opening in the background; behind other windows

For a couple of years I have had increasing problems with application windows and dialog boxes opening up behind other windows with no indication that they have opened. Lately this had become an extreme nuisance.

Does anyone know how to get a newly opened application or dialog box to ALWAYS open in the foreground?

This is likely tied to the 'feature' of "focus assist" but I cannot figure out how to get it to assist me. Turning it off did nothing as far as I can tell.

Hello Punchcard 57, welcome to the Microsoft community. My name is Luiz Cruz and I am an independent consultant and I will be happy to assist you.

Click on the start menu and access the System Settings.
Click Privacy.
Find the "Background Applications" option, and disable this option.

If it doesn't work, follow the steps below:

Access the link below and perform the Windows 10 repair process by clicking on the option:

Run troubleshooter:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/r...

If the behavior continues, perform the next procedure.

Safe Mode
Safe mode starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and services. If a problem does not reappear when you restart your PC in safe mode, consider that the cause of the problem is not in the default settings and basic device drivers and services.
Press Windows + R and type MSconfig.
Click the System Startup tab.
And check the Safe and Minimum Boot option.
Press Apply and Ok, now click on the restart now option.
Now test and see if the behavior is repeated, if not repeated it means that some program at startup is causing this behavior and to solve it I advise you to perform a clean boot of the system.

Clean boot.
Clean boot is used to determine if a background program is interfering with the system.
Press the Windows + R keys, type MSconfig and click OK;
In the System Configuration window click on the services tab;
At the bottom of the screen check the Hide all Microsoft services box and click Disable all;
Now click on the Programs Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager;
In the task manager window on the startup tab, disable all non-Microsoft programs, close the task manager and click ok on system configuration and restart the computer if requested.

NOTE: This procedure disables all third party services and programs. You can later, if the problem is solved in this way, selectively enable the programs and services that will start with Windows, instead of keeping all disabled. If the problem returns after activating the startup of a specific service or program, the problem is exactly in the startup of this software and it is recommended to remove it.

Run the Windows 10 repair tools:

Press the Windows + X keys, select Command Prompt (Admin), copy and paste the commands below and press enter after each command.

Sfc /ScanNow

Dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

Wait for the process to finish and restart the pc;

I hope I helped, even more!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 23, 2024 Views 22,952 Applies to: