App Readiness Service Question

I have found that App Readiness Service must be enabled to install Windows Updates that require a reboot.  That I can understand.  However, some user pc's will take much longer to boot when App Readiness Service is enabled.  I am one of those users with such a pc.  In order to install Windows Updates that require reboot, I simply make sure it is enabled before rebooting.  However, it then takes much longer for the pc to boot up.  So, immediately after installing the updates, I disable App Readiness and boot time is great!

My question - why is this happening to some pc's?  And is there a solution to keep App Readiness enabled and still have a faster boot?  I have tried turning Fast Startup on and off and that makes no difference on the pc.  It's not a major problem, in that I just have to remember to be sure App Readiness is enabled prior to updating Windows, and turn it off after updating.    However, I wonder if by disabling App Readiness Service, I am unknowingly causing other problems.

It doesn't seem that it does. Sfc/scannow runs and shows no integrity violations, as does DISM.  There is no defragmentation on the pc and no virus or malware is present.   Pc is running fine, with no file system errors, per dskchk.  I am at a loss in figuring this out. I guess I am not techie-oriented enough so I am asking anyone who is knowledgeable to help me solve this.  Thanks.    

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

I found the solution after trying everything else for no result. As I haven't found my solution on Internet, <removed>

Simply a problem of SID in the ACL of the folder C:\Program Files\WindowsApp\

hey - old thread but problems are started to occure right now for me.  Updating from 1703*** .483  to .540 / .608 online seems to cause a problem with the app - readiness service... offline update works fine though. Then again - offline update from .483 to 540 (no problem) then online update to 608 cauzes this problem again. Wonder if you could share some deeper info onto the SID in the ACL solution you found. Stoping or disabling the  service helps but its not an adequate solution for this problem. MS are you evening listening?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

SID stands for Security Identifier and is used within NT/2000 as a value to uniquely identify an object such as a user or a group. The SID assigned to a userbecomes part of the access token, which is then attached to any action attempted or process executed by that user or group.

ACL is the Access Control List...A folder can have an ACL on it.  That ACL will not only apply to the folder itself, but it also applies to any files in that folder.  If a sub-folder is created, it will inherit the ACL from the parent folder, but this can be changed later on.  When you change the ACL on a folder it immediately applies to the files in that folder.  There are also some options for propagating the changes to sub-folders.

A file can have 2 ACLs on it.  One comes from its parent Folder and the other one is something called a System ACL.  If present, the System ACL overrides the Folder's ACL.  The 2 ACLs are not merged in any way.  The System ACL completely wins out.  So you may find cases where the folder says that the user has read only access, but they can edit certain files in the folder.

It looks to me to be a 'permission' thing...not absolutely clear on the how's & why's but it seems delving deeper into what it does an how to set it up for domain things is what seems to be causing some issues...if you say have your pc hooked up to your printer an would like to use a laptop that can print using the same printer without actually connecting a cable to the printer but using wi-fi then you set up a 'Domain' that will relay the print to the pc then to the printer....

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2024 Views 70,001 Applies to: