Anti virus software and Windows S mode

I recently purchased a laptop for my daughter. The salesperson insisted that we needed anti-virus software. No big deal, I purchased it. As it turns out, I can't install it in S mode. What's the deal with S mode? Is it really necessary? I'm trying to figure out if it's best to use standard Windows 10 or try to return the software.

Question Info

Last updated April 1, 2020 Views 1,864 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi Jeissac75

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Windows 10 already comes with a built-in Antivirus utility called Windows Defender Security Center.

Windows 10 in S Mode only allows installing apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install desktop apps from the Internet or CD/DVDs, then you will need to switch out of it. See steps below how to do that and how to use the built-in Windows Defender Antivirus.

Windows Defender has come a long way from the days of Microsoft Security Essentials.

It includes a decent Antivirus scanner thats more robust and uses heuristics and the cloud to detect and remove malicious code.

There is also a built in offline scanner you can use to scan Windows outside of the installation.

Windows Defender also includes a Firewall, Network Security and protections again newer types of attacks such as Ransomware.

So, its pretty robust, especially when combined with other security features such as Windows Smart Screen Filter. I think when used with a Standard User Account, some common sense - don't just download software from suspicious websites or open strange emails with attachments.

Also, keep a regular backup of your computer, system restore points; you really can't go wrong.

You can also supplement it with third party solutions such as the ESET Sysrescue offline scanner and Malwarebytes.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/clean-virus-in...
Best regards,
Andre Da Costa
Independent Advisor for Directly

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi Jeissac75,

The "salesperson" not only sold you something that you do not need in the first place but also that is not compatible with the device that was being sold to you.

In my mind, that is deplorable (or just plain ignorance at best). I'll leave it at that here however, I would complain loudly looking to receive some sort of satisfaction/restitution accordingly.

As Sumit has already stated, the Windows 10 OS comes with a built-in security software, it is called Windows Defender and it is a full anti-virus security suite plus.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/comprehensive-security

(That's what I use myself and have remained infection free to date).

Good Luck going forward,

-Richard

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.