"An App Default Was Reset" error newly sysprep Windows 10 LTSC 2019 Enterprise image completely breaking image.

This is driving me up the wall. I don't know what's wrong. No matter what I do, I get the error "An App Default Was Reset - An app caused a problem with the default app setting for 'x' files so it was reset to 'x software'."

Why is this happening? I am building a VM with LTSC 2019 Enterprise to deploy on my campus. Issue only arises on domain/network profiles, local accounts don't seem to be affected.

When the error occurs, it more or less bricks the OS. Internet Explorer no longer works or even opens, the search function no longer works, most apps within settings no longer open. I cannot run an sfc /scannow function in CMD (it says the service couldn't be started). In fact, most programs and apps no longer work. Often times, I can't even get CMD to elevate. It shows that it is elevated but then nothing will run in elevation, CMD just tells me that I must be elevated to do this task.

I'm at a total loss, here. Absolutely nothing found from Google has been helpful. I really don't want to use standard Windows 10 with how frequently Windows updates break the OS and how bloated the software is with excess garbage.

LTSB 2016 is no longer a viable solution as it is not compatible with new Dell laptops, otherwise I would just stick with that.

Please help.

Answer
Answer

Hi David,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues while building a VM using domain/network profiles.

Since you are using Windows 10 LTSC, we do have a dedicated forum, where we support issues related to Enterprise and domain environments. Let me point you in the right direction, I would suggest you to post your query on TechNet forums, where we have expertise and support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on domain environment to assist you with your query.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2020 Views 476 Applies to: